How Do You Get To The Plugs On A 5.7 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HDRock1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never pulled plugs on this engine before, man they are way down in there and I'm not a tall guy, and have short arms. :).
Is it easier to do through the fender well ?
What about the metal shield things, do any of you discard them, or is that a bad idea ?

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am vertically challenged. For the back plugs I get inside the bay.

OP
OP
HDRock1

HDRock1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I ask about the fender well is because this is what is says in the FSM, (Loosen each spark plug one or two turns. Most spark plug are best removed from wheel wells. ).but I see that was a dumb question, U can't do anything like that through the wheel wells unless U removed the wheel well.
I guess they seamed hard to get to, cuz I was trying to get penetrating oil right up where the plugs go in the block and had to do it by feel, cuz most of them you can't see.
Hell I got a step stool and a ladder out there, to Remove the air inlet grille,and windshield wiper arms.

JenneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 5.7's, TBI and Vortec trucks are literally the easiest motors to change plugs on.

Chevy Aveos might win that award. ;)

I've been know to pull the front wheels and put the control arms on 4x4s when I known I'm gonna be spending a while in the engine compartment. Wouldn't do that just for plugs but if you're short...

Attachments

• Ecotec.jpg
    Ecotec.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 43

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chevy Aveos might win that award. ;)

I've been know to pull the front wheels and put the control arms on 4x4s when I known I'm gonna be spending a while in the engine compartment. Wouldn't do that just for plugs but if you're short...

lol maybe these are not THE easiest, but they are still do-able for the average person. I had to crawl into the engine bay to get the back ones, but there is a lot of room in the OBS trucks. More room than the NBS trucks I think.

Aveo's just suck in general. Maybe changing plugs is easy, but they are still GM's WORST car to date IMO. lol

OP
OP
HDRock1

HDRock1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well !! I can actually get to the plugs through the fender on this side of the truck :lol2:

Attachments

• IMG_20120710_190454.jpg
    IMG_20120710_190454.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 39

Tricky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 5.7's, TBI and Vortec trucks are literally the easiest motors to change plugs on.

Get a step stool a ratchet with a deep socket (can't remember size) and a six pack. If this is your first time, and you are doing wires, do them 1 at a time so you do not cross them. A/C Delco wires come sold to fit, so just match size up when replacing.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.

JenneK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aveo's just suck in general...but they are still GM's WORST car to date IMO. lol
Think the Pontiac Aztek took that award, too!

Dude, those Aveos make great lifeboats for our trucks! They fit right into the cargo area in the back or you can plop them up on the roof! :laughing1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts