How about some gas mileage reports?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artem-G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FAA7CE45-1786-412A-BBE2-72A1A40211F3.jpeg

Here’s what I get. Not great I know, I complained to the service people at the dealership, they explained the truck isn’t broken in yet and the mileage will get better over time.

:)

OP
OP
Quark

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is mixed driving since I bought it 1500 miles ago. I was getting 20 mpg on the highway during a recent trip.

I use 91-93 octane fuel.

This is a vehicle that just does not get great gas mileage. I heard that the diesel version mpg’s are better.

Diesels will get better mileage but per mile fuel cost may not be worth the added maintenance expense unless one drives a lot of miles per year or tows often, in my book.

20mpg highway is what I get if using 87 octane and you have a decent horsepower advantage.

OP
OP
Quark

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 276686

Here’s what I get. Not great I know, I complained to the service people at the dealership, they explained the truck isn’t broken in yet and the mileage will get better over time.

:)

Times 2.35214583 would make that 10.349441664969 mpg? That must in a lot of idling or cold weatheror a lot of full throttle starts? If not I would also be talking to the service department. Break in won't make that much difference.

I have that all screwed up, we need somebody smart. 4.4L/100 km conversion comes to 53.457859839716mpg?

Last edited:

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesels will get better mileage but per mile fuel cost may not be worth the added maintenance expense unless one drives a lot of miles per year or tows often, in my book.

20mpg highway is what I get if using 87 octane and you have a decent horsepower advantage.

Which engine and what speed do you get 20mph on the highway with?

OP
OP
Quark

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which engine and what speed do you get 20mph on the highway with?

That would be my 2012 Tahoe with 5.3L. Under ideal conditions, flat and no or a bit of tail wind, running 89 octane at 70mph it's capable of 22+mpg.

TwoBigBoys n dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know they say if you're buying a big SUV you shouldn't care about the gas mileage but I'm not one of those. I would be quite interested to know what our courageous buyers are seeing especially on the 5.3L. Trips, combined city highway, from the DIC or hand calculated all will be appreciated. How fast you drive, load of vehicle, etc. the more info the better.

2018 Yukon Denali 6L w a Yakima topper on 22" all seasons running 91 octane. spring break trip down I-15 n back ~3400 miles 19.7 mpg

VAguy68

Reaction score
I do about 106 miles round trip each day. I have 15K on my '21 Z71 5.3 as of this morning. My best 50 mile loop was 24.4 mpg. I don't know how or where I did that but that is what the gauge shows. Now if I soft pedal it on my way home (53 miles) I can get upwards of 22 mpg consistently. My to date overall average is almost 19 mpg.

It's really comparable to my '15 F150 ecoboost I had. The difference is if I really dug in to that turbo, gas mileage would plummet. My lifetime avg in that truck was just under 18 mpg.

The one thing I miss is the the 35 gal tank.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do about 106 miles round trip each day. I have 15K on my '21 Z71 5.3 as of this morning. My best 50 mile loop was 24.4 mpg. I don't know how or where I did that but that is what the gauge shows. Now if I soft pedal it on my way home (53 miles) I can get upwards of 22 mpg consistently. My to date overall average is almost 19 mpg.

It's really comparable to my '15 F150 ecoboost I had. The difference is if I really dug in to that turbo, gas mileage would plummet. My lifetime avg in that truck was just under 18 mpg.

The one thing I miss is the the 35 gal tank.

Would you say you had poor mileage for the couple 1k miles? and then it got better?

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should try being in SWFL. Its like the fast and the furious light to light down here. Tons of high powered and high dollar cars down here and all are ready to drag, especially after dark...light to light or on 75. If you don't drive 85 min on 75, you get your doors blown off....

I too don't really care what fuel costs, but it Irks me that fuel companies will jack premium up +.60 cents over RUL. I remember when mid grade was + .10 and the premium was another .10...Ok that's fair enough. Any decent big or performance vehicle REQUIRES it to run the way is should. I hate having to stop for fuel every week or seeing the needle drop noticeably every time you go do anything... Just proves what a gas horse these vehicles really are. If I can't find or get one with a Duramax ( Rare as hens teeth in my area...) I'll prob just Keep my JEEP GC EcoDiesel another year. Over all it runs great and solid 27-30 MPG....
Premium is closer to a buck more in WI.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DIC on my 2010 Tahoe LT (5.3L) is at 16.8 right now, mixed driving. But I get 21 mpg on the 140 mile round trip to our cottage at 65-70 mph (hand calculated and per DIC).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts