Hot negative battery post and no power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pt1965

Reaction score
a month or so ago i experienced a dead truck and realized the negative cable was loose, no problems for since until yesterday same thing. i wiggle the cable a little while hitting the key fob and power is restored. so do you think the loose cable situation compromised the cable over time?
so, i am looking for a replacement and theres 10 variations out there. Mine has the main cable going to engine block and a split off that runs all the way towards front headlight area, then a separate short cable going to a bolt on firewall. it seems the same cable at different stores is listed at both 32" and 65". rockauto lists a standard ignition and a acdelco that seem to be the same, and i have only been able to find the std version at oreillys locally. probably pickup today.

just wondering if anyone else has esperienced this?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The loose ground cable can start to make poor connections but I’d also look at the other end, where the cable attaches to the block. You may want to take the cable off the block and give them both a good scrubbing and reattach including some dialect grease. It’s kinda rare for the cable to be bad but you never know.

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you look at the battery connector itself? Years ago I had a Dodge Dakota that I had to tap the negative connector on now and them. When I got around to actually trying to fix it? I found it had melted some from sparking I guess. I had to replace the battery.
Moral of that story is.....
Well no Moral just a truck bed full of "I TOLD YOU SO!" from SWMBO.

OP
OP
pt1965

pt1965

Reaction score
thanks yall. connections are all clean and tight, but wouldnt hurt to disconnect other end and wire brush it. its odd that when the truck is dead the negative terminal is hot. my mechanic says he thinks it can only be caused by a short somewhere on the positive side. unless the cable itself is bad i dont see anything wrong with the wire going to the starter either, but he cant look at it for a few days when i'm scheduled to get some suspension work done. i hope nothing gets fried in the mean time!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks yall. connections are all clean and tight, but wouldnt hurt to disconnect other end and wire brush it. its odd that when the truck is dead the negative terminal is hot. my mechanic says he thinks it can only be caused by a short somewhere on the positive side. unless the cable itself is bad i dont see anything wrong with the wire going to the starter either, but he cant look at it for a few days when i'm scheduled to get some suspension work done. i hope nothing gets fried in the mean time!
It would have to be a pretty serious short to make the ground cable hot, that should make it easy to find

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I misread the hot negative part. Wes is right. If the negative is hot and you have a no power situation something is bad wrong. Can you swap in a different battery to see if it happens again?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a month or so ago i experienced a dead truck and realized the negative cable was loose, no problems for since until yesterday same thing. i wiggle the cable a little while hitting the key fob and power is restored. so do you think the loose cable situation compromised the cable over time?
so, i am looking for a replacement and theres 10 variations out there. Mine has the main cable going to engine block and a split off that runs all the way towards front headlight area, then a separate short cable going to a bolt on firewall. it seems the same cable at different stores is listed at both 32" and 65". rockauto lists a standard ignition and a acdelco that seem to be the same, and i have only been able to find the std version at oreillys locally. probably pickup today.

just wondering if anyone else has esperienced this?

cable is probably bad
high resistance makes heat

Last edited:
OP
OP
pt1965

pt1965

Reaction score
i have ordered a new one, but i have looked at it and i dont know how i can get to the mounting location of the one ground that runs to the front w/o removing some stuff. its tight to just get my hand in there. why does it have 3 grounds coming off of it anyway?
strange tho that i had the 3 instances of no power on monday, i havent done anything to it, and yesterday and this morning its ok.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have ordered a new one, but i have looked at it and i dont know how i can get to the mounting location of the one ground that runs to the front w/o removing some stuff. its tight to just get my hand in there. why does it have 3 grounds coming off of it anyway?
strange tho that i had the 3 instances of no power on monday, i havent done anything to it, and yesterday and this morning its ok.
more paths to gound electricity likes the path of lest resistance... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaaalomari

Latest posts