Home built 4L60E beast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic421 - basically I want to do a towing build... I do some off road too but imagine a good towing transmission would fit the bill. Did Sonnax sell you a package? Then you rebuilt it? As far as the band, I had though maybe I'd be able to reuse my old drum? Some of the youtube videos said they don't fail much other than you might have a grove warn by old drum that could interfere with the wider band?

HiHoeSilver - I was looking at the smart sunshell by sonnax... Looks to be quite high quality. Although it's more expensive. Also appears to include something to re-infoce it a bit more / custom race and thrust bearing. Maybe is overkill, certainly is expensive haha

upload_2020-9-15_21-0-46.png

BentleyArnage

Reaction score
I've built these since they came out. Already, we have some good advice here. The reverse input drum with the wide band is a great upgrade. Don't forget to use the Corvette servo. Most of our trucks came with them. You can use the billet cover if you want. It's a bit better. Replacing the bushings is essential. Get the hard rings for the pump. 13 vane is the best. Use as much as you can from a Transgo kit. This is the gold standard. Some things are simple but effective. The stuff works. Sonnax is good too. You may need a bunch of tools to use their stuff.

Upgrade the 3-4 clutch pack to 7-8 red clutches and Kolene steels. Use the bonded pistons. HD clutches throughout. Check all check balls. There's one in the input drum that will make you go nuts if it's bad. Both planets upgraded to 5 pinion, beast sun shell, new roller clutches. Get rid of the checkball in the back of the case. That makes reverse come in faster. Less chance of burn up. With a new bushing and seal, assemble the pump on the new torque converter. It just works. Set the end play with the flat gasket in place but no rubber oring around the pump. Use pinless accumulators. no shaft leaks. Toss all plastic accumulators. Replace all electronics and harness. I'll add more if I remember it. Have fun!

BentleyArnage

Reaction score
Mechanic421 - basically I want to do a towing build... I do some off road too but imagine a good towing transmission would fit the bill. Did Sonnax sell you a package? Then you rebuilt it? As far as the band, I had though maybe I'd be able to reuse my old drum? Some of the youtube videos said they don't fail much other than you might have a grove warn by old drum that could interfere with the wider band?

HiHoeSilver - I was looking at the smart sunshell by sonnax... Looks to be quite high quality. Although it's more expensive. Also appears to include something to re-infoce it a bit more / custom race and thrust bearing. Maybe is overkill, certainly is expensive haha

View attachment 257681
Nothing expensive about it. Cheaper than breakage.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I've built these since they came out. Already, we have some good advice here. The reverse input drum with the wide band is a great upgrade. Don't forget to use the Corvette servo. Most of our trucks came with them. You can use the billet cover if you want. It's a bit better. Replacing the bushings is essential. Get the hard rings for the pump. 13 vane is the best. Use as much as you can from a Transgo kit. This is the gold standard. Some things are simple but effective. The stuff works. Sonnax is good too. You may need a bunch of tools to use their stuff.

Upgrade the 3-4 clutch pack to 7-8 red clutches and Kolene steels. Use the bonded pistons. HD clutches throughout. Check all check balls. There's one in the input drum that will make you go nuts if it's bad. Both planets upgraded to 5 pinion, beast sun shell, new roller clutches. Get rid of the checkball in the back of the case. That makes reverse come in faster. Less chance of burn up. With a new bushing and seal, assemble the pump on the new torque converter. It just works. Set the end play with the flat gasket in place but no rubber oring around the pump. Use pinless accumulators. no shaft leaks. Toss all plastic accumulators. Replace all electronics and harness. I'll add more if I remember it. Have fun!

1. You said check balls! :gayfight:

2. Give me your address and I'll send you tracking info when my trans is on its way!

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put your comment in my build notes. Very helpful :)

I've heard about the Covette Servo. The guy in one of the videos said the Sonnax servo applies more force yet. However, I see the corvette servo is much less expensive.

Servo:
Do you think I'm okay with just doing the Corvette servo as apposed to the Sonnax?
Do you have to put in a new apply pin? or can the seals be redone on the old one?

Pump Rotor:
13 vane rotor. I have that on the build list. However, I cannot figure out which one to buy there are multiple brands? Some come with extra bits too. I'm not sure what the extra bits are :|

Transgo Kit:
I definitely want to upgrade the valve body while I'm in there. I see some of these more experienced guys just modify the existing one. However, I wouldn't know where to start with that. Specifically which transgo? Do they make multiple versions?

Torque Converter:
What do you recommend there? Do the factory ones burn up? I don't know much about them.

Programming:
I also have tuning setup for my truck / HP Tuners. I plan on reprogramming the transmission as well but that'll be after it's built. Whole new set of questions there haha Would like better mileage if possible... then use my toe/haul button for off road and towing.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mechanic421

06 Denali XL
Reaction score

View attachment 257681
No they do not sell kits or packages. You have to piece it together. And no matter what anyone says is beast is not that good. Too heavy runs out of balance and hard to stop moving when it makes the shift. I will only ever use a smart shell.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, I have ATSG for 4T65E which needs rebuilt in my other vehicle but still limps by. Felt would be easier to build the 4L60E as a first transmission.

Thanks for info on shell. I will def use the sonnax shell then.

I am curious what parts might be reused from old transmission?

Additionally who makes 5 pin planetaries that don't break the bank?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345