Higher lift gate access

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short, i damn near cracked my skull with the corner of the lift gate a month ago. Im 6'2" and always have to duck in fear.

Anyways, not to long ago i saw CHP on the side of the road with their rear lift gate open and that thing was a lot higher than mine goes. I know their vehicle was an explorer but it got me thinking if maybe there's a way to increase the amount of lift?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short, i damn near cracked my skull with the corner of the lift gate a month ago. Im 6'2" and always have to duck in fear.

Anyways, not to long ago i saw CHP on the side of the road with their rear lift gate open and that thing was a lot higher than mine goes. I know their vehicle was an explorer but it got me thinking if maybe there's a way to increase the amount of lift?

Go back to stock height or lift the truck, run a taller tire (275-65-20), etc.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Remove the struts and see how high it can go. You maybe able to fabricate a bracket to make it go higher. You can always put a 2 in spacer on the rear springs and get 2 extra inches.

Bear in mind that if you remove the strut and know that the liftgate goes higher and you either reposition the bracket or use another bracket, that you may have to also install a different strut to allow for the strut to collapse correctly in the stowed/closed position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63