High pitched noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imfletcher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hope you guys can help me… I just traded my 2007 Tahoe for a gently-used (20k miles) 2013 Tahoe LT at Carmax. The new truck is great except for one issue:

I can hear a *very* high-pitched ringing noise from somewhere around the radio. It's very similar to the sound you'd hear from an old CRT TV if the volume was turned all the way down. Or, if you've ever experienced tinnitus ("ringing in the ears"), it sounds like that.

You might be wondering if the problem is with my ears, not the truck. I wondered that too, so I did an experiment -- I put my dog in the truck. She freaked and jumped out. Successful test, as far as I'm concerned.

I hear the sound when the radio is off or on. It doesn't change with acceleration. The weirdest part - I hear it *before* I start the engine. When I shut the engine off, I continue hearing it for a minute or two, then it stops.

It's not the same whine you sometimes hear when you plug an external device in a car radio's aux jack (I've had that problem in other vehicles). That usually changes with engine RPM, and only when the radio is on. My sound is quieter and higher pitched.

I have the factory radio, without Nav. No aftermarket accessories. It's 100% stock.

Has anybody ever encountered this before?

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

I pulled the fuse for the radio. No noise. Put the fuse back. The sound came back.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's got to be wired to ignition whatever it is. Just start unplugging each item one by one. Could possibly be the radio. I have tinnitus so I know how you feel.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello imfletcher,

Congratulations on the purchase of the new-to-you Tahoe! I can definitely understand how it can be frustrating to hear a high pitch noise coming from around the radio area in your Tahoe. As a customer service representative, I'm not able to provide much in the way of do-it-yourself information, so I'm glad to see forum members are beginning to step in with feedback. If you have any lingering concerns, please private message me.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

72rivi

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Its like a white noise coming from the speakers. Sort of like when your AUX wire is plugged in and I unplug my phone to answer it. Yeah its annoying, i usually drive with music on...:emotions122:

My 2007 Tahoe never did that, but my 2012 does....

OP
OP
I

imfletcher

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No rear DVD.

Interesting that two of us have this problem in our '12/'13s, but we didn't in our '07s.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Its like a white noise coming from the speakers. Sort of like when your AUX wire is plugged in and I unplug my phone to answer it. Yeah its annoying, i usually drive with music on...:emotions122:

My 2007 Tahoe never did that, but my 2012 does....

Hello 72rivi,

My apologies to learn you are experiencing concerns with a white noise coming from the speakers in your Tahoe. I understand that this is quite a nuisance for you. I'm happy to document your concerns in our system and reach out to your dealership on your behalf. If my assistance is needed, you are welcome to send me a PM here on the site.

Thank you,

Andraya
GM Customer Care

No rear DVD.

Interesting that two of us have this problem in our '12/'13s, but we didn't in our '07s.

Hi Fletcher,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this concern as well. If we can offer any additional assistance, please feel free to reach out to us via private message. Please include your VIN and contact information.

Best,

Andraya
GM Customer Care

Last edited:

deb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just traded in my 2007 Tahoe for a 2012 Tahoe. I also have the very high pitched noise coming from the CD player area. I have discovered if you lower the interior dash lights, the noise gets much lower and almost goes away. However, at dusk when the interior dash lights automatcially get brighter the noise comes back.
I have been reaading that others have had the radio changed out to a Panasonic.
I have spoke to my service guy at Chevy dealership, he has not heard of this issue.
It is very annoying and I beleive the dealership that I bought the vehicle from knew of this issue possibly from previous owner as the interior light dimmer button was turned all the way down to the lowest setting.
Not sure if i should pursue having the radio changed or if it is an issue with the wiring of all the lights in the dash.

HELP!?!?

Nicholas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just traded in my 2007 Tahoe for a 2012 Tahoe. I also have the very high pitched noise coming from the CD player area. I have discovered if you lower the interior dash lights, the noise gets much lower and almost goes away. However, at dusk when the interior dash lights automatcially get brighter the noise comes back.
I have been reaading that others have had the radio changed out to a Panasonic.
I have spoke to my service guy at Chevy dealership, he has not heard of this issue.
It is very annoying and I beleive the dealership that I bought the vehicle from knew of this issue possibly from previous owner as the interior light dimmer button was turned all the way down to the lowest setting.
Not sure if i should pursue having the radio changed or if it is an issue with the wiring of all the lights in the dash.

HELP!?!?
Did you ever get this issue fixed because I'm going through the same thing in my Tahoe now?

Nicholas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello 72rivi,

My apologies to learn you are experiencing concerns with a white noise coming from the speakers in your Tahoe. I understand that this is quite a nuisance for you. I'm happy to document your concerns in our system and reach out to your dealership on your behalf. If my assistance is needed, you are welcome to send me a PM here on the site.

Thank you,

Andraya
GM Customer Care

Hi Fletcher,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this concern as well. If we can offer any additional assistance, please feel free to reach out to us via private message. Please include your VIN and contact information.

Best,

Andraya
GM Customer Care
I'm having this issue as well. Can you help me or point me in the right direction?