High Number of Squeaks and Rattles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

simmang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got a new 2018 Yukon Denali 3-4 months ago and have put ~5k miles on it. Starting at just 300 miles, the interior rattles and squeaks started. Now the car has so many it is driving me crazy. A few specific ones include the following:
  • Navigation screen rattled incessantly; fixed it myself by putting some felt behind the top trim piece to wedge it against dash
  • Rear right door has an obnoxious rattle; can't find where it's coming from
  • B-pillar rattles (seen in other threads described as "itching")
  • Entire center stack and console cracks/pops/squeaks when driving over expansion joints or big bumps, especially after the car has been in the sun
  • Occasional rattle from the driver door trim near the handle
  • Other totally random, short-lived rattles scattered throughout
The city I live in has notoriously bad roads, but the Audi I traded for this Yukon never once had a single trim piece squeak or rattle, even after 6 years and 55k miles.

The point of this thread is not just to complain, but I am truly interested to know whether anyone has been successful eliminating the rattles / creaks / squeaks in this vehicle. The engineer in me thinks that some of these are so inherent in the design of the trim pieces that it would be a losing battle to even try. I'm probably going to have to trade the Yukon in for something else, because I just can't stop hearing and focusing on them. So disappointing considering it is really the only thing I dislike about the car.

I haven't taken it in to the dealer yet. All I can think of was taking a car I had 15 years ago with terrible rattles into the dealership and having vehicle returned to me every time "could not reproduce symptom." Any tips for when I do?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all welcome to the Forum, congrats on your new vehicle, and sorry you are having so many squeaks and rattles. Look in the "Interior Section" on the first page and there are probably four threads already discussing this same issue. i would read through those and see if they help. Nothing is more annoying. I would work through the Dealer if you can't fix them yourself(Dealer can damage trim if not careful). Get a set of plastic trim tools from Harbor Freight for about $10. My last resort would be Lemon Law if you don't get satisfaction as we pay way too much to have annoying issues. Just check the lemon laws in your state and hire a Lemon Law attorney who usually gets paid as part of the settlement and you have no upfront out of pocket money. I only bring this up as you already have a bad taste in your mouth and are considering getting rid of it. They are really great vehicles. Good luck.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took my 17 tahoe to the dealer for several noise related issues. I was a bit of a stickler but listed in the neighborhood of 20 things wrong with her. Here goes

Center console. Check both wood looking trim pieces from front to back. Mine were either broken or improperly installed. The black trim was a bit loose in the front where it met the dash. I figure it broke a clip. The dealer replaced the three parts.
Drivers door noise. Check that black vertical appliqué mine was loose has the rubber run slightly under it between the glass and trim piece. A few clips were broken and they had to replace it. The rubber trim was a part of the appliqué.
I had some premium winter mats that went past the rear door and made some noise under the doors. I’d check the appliqué and rear door trim panel for being secured. This stuff is held by plastic clips Velcro and double sided tape in some cases.
Be fair about things and remove everything you put in the car including things in the door covered center console. My sunglasses were
Rubbing against the little door and I have a fire extinguisher that moved ever so slightly in the third row seat cups.
Chevy replaced the rear windshield,the lift shocks and the two body mounted hinge in an effort to stop a rattle I heard three times. I haven’t heard it again.
Those appliqués are notoriously problematic. The come flying off in told.
Next. I had them replace the trim around the radio as it was not affixed properly.
Note this. On each of the door lock catches there is a black piece of plastic that covers them. This serves a purpose to dampen vibrations. It clips in place but is not easy to do. I had three replace on this car and 2 on a 16 Tahoe
I imagine somebody got frustrated and gave up on it.
One more thing the front bumper cover should attach securely to the front bumper at the front fenders. No movement. There are plastic clips on either side that can pop or break. Sometimes as in my case the tabs on the cover bent and broke the clips. Had to be replaced

My truck has been very quiet now except on the harshest of roads nyc/nj and somethings have to have some play or they will break.

Hope this helps

I went on a mission with my wife a put pressure on things until I silenced them one at a time. I made
Arrangements to schedule an ordering of the parts and once the parts were in, I dropped the truck for service.

TahoeOn33s

Reaction score
I just took my 17 tahoe to the dealer for several noise related issues. I was a bit of a stickler but listed in the neighborhood of 20 things wrong with her. Here goes

Center console. Check both wood looking trim pieces from front to back. Mine were either broken or improperly installed. The black trim was a bit loose in the front where it met the dash. I figure it broke a clip. The dealer replaced the three parts.
Drivers door noise. Check that black vertical appliqué mine was loose has the rubber run slightly under it between the glass and trim piece. A few clips were broken and they had to replace it. The rubber trim was a part of the appliqué.
I had some premium winter mats that went past the rear door and made some noise under the doors. I’d check the appliqué and rear door trim panel for being secured. This stuff is held by plastic clips Velcro and double sided tape in some cases.
Be fair about things and remove everything you put in the car including things in the door covered center console. My sunglasses were
Rubbing against the little door and I have a fire extinguisher that moved ever so slightly in the third row seat cups.
Chevy replaced the rear windshield,the lift shocks and the two body mounted hinge in an effort to stop a rattle I heard three times. I haven’t heard it again.
Those appliqués are notoriously problematic. The come flying off in told.
Next. I had them replace the trim around the radio as it was not affixed properly.
Note this. On each of the door lock catches there is a black piece of plastic that covers them. This serves a purpose to dampen vibrations. It clips in place but is not easy to do. I had three replace on this car and 2 on a 16 Tahoe
I imagine somebody got frustrated and gave up on it.
One more thing the front bumper cover should attach securely to the front bumper at the front fenders. No movement. There are plastic clips on either side that can pop or break. Sometimes as in my case the tabs on the cover bent and broke the clips. Had to be replaced

My truck has been very quiet now except on the harshest of roads nyc/nj and somethings have to have some play or they will break.

Hope this helps

I went on a mission with my wife a put pressure on things until I silenced them one at a time. I made
Arrangements to schedule an ordering of the parts and once the parts were in, I dropped the truck for service.

Love it haha!