Hey Folks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TorqueInd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to this forum, not to forums...

Quick and dirty... L86 Yukon... #4 bent pushrod #7 dead intake lifter... simultaniously it would seem....

On order is TSP SV cam (223/227, .635/.635., 116 LSA) factory fuel lobe. I'd like to retain VVT if possible and if worthwhile... I'm a Cummins guy boys... sorry... but i know a bit about VTEC so it seems silly to loose VVT...

AFM/DOD delete with plugs, trunion upgrade, LT4 head gaskets, Found some ARP bolts luckily, VLOM gasket, cam/crank bolts, Delphi LS7 lifters. Hope I made the right selections here... worried I dicked'er with the stock fuel lobe... but hopefully there is redemption down the road...

Basically ordered their recommendation but they send a cam lockout due to valve spring change out... springs are: 199-ISSLT1660SpringKit. Titanium retainer. 1.9000" Installed Height, .710 Max Lift, 160lbs @ 1.900", 430lbs @ 1.240". 7.850 Manton Pushrods.

DO I NEED TO LOCKOUT VVT?????

Thank you for your time fam. I appreciate all experience an expertise!!!

Cheers

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Better minds than mine will answer your ?'s about your rig. Please post the year of the rig. You can set up your signature with all rig info for future posts.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

Out of curiosity how many miles on your unit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TorqueInd

TorqueInd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you!

It’s got approx 90,000 miles.

Up here in the frozen north we idle a lot throughout the winter too. I think it’s got 4500hrs total on it, and 1500 of that is idle from what I can remember. Oil changes are done at 6000mi or 3 months.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

OP
OP
TorqueInd

TorqueInd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I don’t have much for pics of this whip… it carts the wife and kids around and I usually end up with a speeding ticket on road trips lol

Here’s a pic of the carnage I’m into now!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New to this forum, not to forums...

Quick and dirty... L86 Yukon... #4 bent pushrod #7 dead intake lifter... simultaniously it would seem....

On order is TSP SV cam (223/227, .635/.635., 116 LSA) factory fuel lobe. I'd like to retain VVT if possible and if worthwhile... I'm a Cummins guy boys... sorry... but i know a bit about VTEC so it seems silly to loose VVT...

AFM/DOD delete with plugs, trunion upgrade, LT4 head gaskets, Found some ARP bolts luckily, VLOM gasket, cam/crank bolts, Delphi LS7 lifters. Hope I made the right selections here... worried I dicked'er with the stock fuel lobe... but hopefully there is redemption down the road...

Basically ordered their recommendation but they send a cam lockout due to valve spring change out... springs are: 199-ISSLT1660SpringKit. Titanium retainer. 1.9000" Installed Height, .710 Max Lift, 160lbs @ 1.900", 430lbs @ 1.240". 7.850 Manton Pushrods.

DO I NEED TO LOCKOUT VVT?????

Thank you for your time fam. I appreciate all experience an expertise!!!

Cheers
Is it a complete VVT lockout or just a limiter? According to the TSP site, that's the valve spring set they recommend for that cam, so that's curious to me. Locking out the VVT would be necessary if the valve spring pressure is too great for the cam phaser to overcome the resistance while the engine is running, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Might be worth a call to them to verify.

Factory fuel lobe should be fine unless you're planning to add a supercharger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TorqueInd

TorqueInd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it a complete VVT lockout or just a limiter? According to the TSP site, that's the valve spring set they recommend for that cam, so that's curious to me. Locking out the VVT would be necessary if the valve spring pressure is too great for the cam phaser to overcome the resistance while the engine is running, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Might be worth a call to them to verify.

Factory fuel lobe should be fine unless you're planning to add a supercharger.
TSP did tell me the reason for 0 degree lockout is due to the heavy springs, and not being able to control the timing properly like you said. Seems strange to me, as RB26 engines utilize VVT, as do a lot of high performance engines. Anyway, it’s got the lock in now and is back together.

It’s running, not tuned yet, but running. Should have a tube in a day or so.

But wow the electrical gremlins now…

No power steering.
Infotainment screen won’t shut off and is black but backlit, and killed the battery overnight.
Christmas tree of warnings…

Double and triple checked all the grounds… pulled the infotainment fuse tonight to let it charge… fried my multimeter checking for dc amp draw… headaches… just when I thought I seen the light lol

Any ideas what is causing the electrical problems? Battery was undone for about a month now… about all I can figure is take it to a shop and have it cleared with the snap on scanner and update the infotainment… hope for the best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low

Latest posts