Help with sealed box dimensions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sschrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I have two Alpine type S 10" subs in a ported box, with an Alpine V (or something) amp running them, they sound good, but I am thinking about buying two Kicker solo-baric L5 12's from a guy I work with, along with a Kicker ZX750.1 amp, only thing is, he had all of this in his Escalade, which was rolled and the box is busted up a little on one side. Still sealed though. He let me take them (have not paid him yet) and I hooked everything up, all works good and sounds just fine, I just don't like the boomy sound with the ported box, plus it's wrecked, which might something to do with it. Who knows.

I listen to mostly metal, I want a sealed box, I have searched google and not really sure what size sealed box I should build.

Any advice would be awesome...

Thanks.

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
minimum sealed is 0.88cuft per sub
maximum sealed is 2 cuft per sub
the smaller the box the more power needed

jayray

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tape over it.

The ported box is in the truck so make it sealed with duct tape and see how it sounds. Duplicate the dimensions if it sounds good, bigger if it doesn't.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had good results with single l5s in a 1.6 cube sealed enclosure, on ~400w rms.

plenty loud, but far far less boomy and distorted. Flattens the response curve out significantly and you don't hit the mechanical limits, so they will actually play low without sounding like a raccoon in a dumpster full of styrofoam plates.

OP
OP
S

sschrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I covered up the port, but with all the air, it blew the tape off, did make a difference though.

So if I go 2.0 per sub, should I split them with MDF in the middle of both, so essentially it is a box for each sub?

And just use one of the calculators for the dimensions to equal out 2.0 Cu Ft?

I want to do it once and do it right.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, so if you want, make sure that's internal dims, not exteral, so you have to minus off 1.5" (if you use 3/4" MDF), becuase you have per side, and yes, put a divider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n