Help with bad reviews on 2015+ Tahoe's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lloyd Jones

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Currently looking into buying a 2015 - 2018 Tahoe. Been reading reviews and they are not positive. Between a/c, brakes, engine mounts, gps shutting off. Just wanted some real world info, if y'all don't mind. I've been a chevy guy for years but running a tacoma for the last three years. It's time to get into something bigger again and first thoughts were Tahoe or Suburban. Just reviews are scaring me since i'll have to get something with higher miles due to cost.

Thanks for any input y'all can provide.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few threads on this subject. Most people including myself have said, take things you read here and other forums with a grain of salt. Many people seek these sites out to complain. Most people have very limited experiences with these trucks as they’ve only owned one. And they are basing their experience on the one truck vs the hundreds of thousands made. Look around you, there’s a reason that there are so many on the road. Think gmc, Chevy and Cadillac. Are there a problem here and there yes of course. Take whatever truck you are considering for a long test drive. Take it to your mechanic for a once over. Find out all that you can about your perspective purchase and treat it as an individual and not representative of the brand or model as a whole. Too many variables exist to broadly label these trucks, especially a used one.

With that I’m about to acquire my fifth vehicle of the current body style. I’ve driven over 130k miles on them. Two ran the course of their leases, one I’m trading in and one I’m still keeping. I’ve had a few trim fitment problems, on one Tahoe, all warranty repaired and she’s quiet as a church now. One navigation screen stoped working and one roof antenna stopped working. On two different trucks. ETA one rear shock locked up on a 16 Tahoe. Again repaired under warranty.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya like Steve said the vast majority of the trucks out there operate just fine, people don't generally gravitate to forums and review sites to make praise they go to complain so it's a skewed system. the sales of these trucks are crazy numbers, the tahoe, suburban, yukon, yukon xl, escalade, escalade esv are all based on the same platform and the silverados and sierras are not far off. The entire line is all very similar, they all use the same or similar engines, transmissions, rear ends, brakes, shocks, etc and they all operate in the same manner give or take a few horse power and give or take a few bells and whistles.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 Tahoe LTZ has been perfect so far: 30 months, 60,000 miles.

But I will add: for such a large vehicle, seating is surprisingly limited to four adults for all practical purposes. The rearmost "seat" is for novelty purposes only, and should never be used to seat humans over 4' tall.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that although some people come here once they have purchased a yukon/Tahoe to complain, some people are here because they ONLY buy GM products so their views of these trucks are equally biased.

There ARE known issues with these trucks around buffetting/vibration (too bad there’s not a sticky on it) but they seem to have gotten it more under control in the later models.

I keep my vehicles for <100k miles and I’d buy again but would test drive throughly before signing on the line. May consider an extended warranty as well.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that... some people are here because they ONLY buy GM products

That would be me! :patriot:

Lloyd, welcome to the forum! Use these forums to learn what problems to look for when searching for your new truck. Don't be a millennial and buy a truck sight unseen from Carvana or some ridiculousness! Look them over good and give them a thorough test drive.

Most of the K2s are fantastic and think I'm going to be forced soon to buy one for my wife instead of a GMT900 like mine!

CE mentioned limited space, yep, it's not a minivan with a unibody like the Ford Explorer. It's a truck with a frame and can pull the top off a mountain! Well, you get the idea.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's not a minivan with a unibody like the Ford Explorer. It's a truck with a frame and can pull the top off a mountain! Well, you get the idea.

For 6 more months until the new Tahoe comes out...

OP
OP
L

Lloyd Jones

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The third row is not an issue, the way I look at it if you want to go with me you have to deal with it. I know to take reviews with a grain of salt but just saw more negatives than I thought I would. Been looking just hadn't found the one yet. My main concern is in order to get in one i'll have to get a higher mileage one. Trying to get something 2016 or 2017. Thanks again, will post pics once I find one.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The third row is not an issue, the way I look at it if you want to go with me you have to deal with it. I know to take reviews with a grain of salt but just saw more negatives than I thought I would. Been looking just hadn't found the one yet. My main concern is in order to get in one i'll have to get a higher mileage one. Trying to get something 2016 or 2017. Thanks again, will post pics once I find one.

The only difference I can think of between ‘16 (I have s 16 yukon) and ‘17 is hdmi input in rear.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Lloyd!!

I bought my Tahoe brand new in October 2016. So far [almost 57K miles] just plain old regular maintenance every 5K miles. Took the Tahoe to NYC from Miami 6 times and going up there again in the next few weeks.

I would have a good independent mechanic check it out from top to bottom just to sure. I would get ALL Service Records as some people neglect them. If possible try to keep it for 24 hours before buying it. Take it on the highway [during non rush hour] and check for any vibrations.

With that said there are a lot of happy campers with 2015+ Tahoe's and Suburban's. I talk to a lot of them at pit stops on my long trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts