help! white smoke all of a sudden this morning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HDRock1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if you're driving it, you I just doing more damage to it, and your pocketbook

OP
OP
K

knoslf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay fellas, i am NOT driving it, but did start it today and guess what, antifreeze was coming out the radiator so I turned it off. I had a mechanic from the shop that recently did a tranny rebuild on my wife's windstar and he said he couldn't do a pressure test with it leaking this bad so...ill fix the leak and get it pressure tested next. Cost-wise, they want $1450 to replace the head gasket, seals, water pump, resurface the heads(if its not cracked) and 2yr warranty...is that too much or?? Don't think I want a used Vortec because who knows when a major issue like this will happen to it...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
thats pretty good deal and warranty. must be a big gasket crack between the cylinder and coolant passage. make sure to get the HST7733PT16 gasket kit from felpro will have everything he will need except pump gasket. but included new valve seals as well.

OP
OP
K

knoslf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks SunlitComet and everyone else...well, my wife got a flat so I HAD to drive 3mi to rescue her and before leaving I checked the coolant level(lost a lot as stated in my previous post) and to my surprise it was at the same level it was before I added coolant in the 1st place, didnt smoke or anything, drove as it always has. So im wondering if the leak is in a high place since it only happened after filling it up? But anyway, I know it blows white smoke when full until i drive for about a half mile and was told its the head gasket and when the motor heats up the (gasket?) swells and closes the leak? Anyway, I've decided to get the gaskets replaced and damage my pockets but oh well, at least I know its been done and hopefully get a lot more life span from this truck...any mods I should consider while its torn apart in the shop? timing chain? And ohyea that price does NOT include the water pump, is it still a good price?

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats a good price. And it can get to where your coolant level doesn't go down quickly because it is being replaced by oil!

OP
OP
K

knoslf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow up..

Welp, puttin the Yukon in the shop this Monday and getting the head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, water pump, radiator, plugs, & thermostat replaced IF the heads aren't cracked lol. Anything you guys think I should add while its torn apart? timing chain? And btw, I have not been driving it at all, its just been parked. Its extremely hard not to drive it since I've been using a friends 98 s-10 where I'm all cramped up(I weigh 220 lbs lol)...I've thought many hours about this investment and figured by just fixing the problem I 'know' its done and wont have to worry about it in the future anytime soon. Afterwards(assuming everything turns out fine), I can begin modding. My wife and I are trying to start a new business and this isnt the time to start buying another car with payments ect....

Attachments

• IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
K

knoslf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats pretty good deal and warranty. must be a big gasket crack between the cylinder and coolant passage. make sure to get the HST7733PT16 gasket kit from felpro will have everything he will need except pump gasket. but included new valve seals as well.

Got the felpro kit today SunlitComet...just waitin on my radiator now,Mechanic tested the heads for cracks and to my dissatisfaction they were cracked so I picked up a pair of heads today that were $200 per head and have a 60 day warranty...SunlitComet you're always the 1st one to post part #'s and that really helps. He also said my intake manifold gaskets were leaking too and the bolts were lose, along with 2 broken bolts that had to be extracted so the new gaskets wont hurt. Got the new ACDelco water pump today as well. will be dropping these parts off tomorrow and hopefully be back on the road soon, wonder if i should have the timing chain replaced too?

Attachments

• gasket kit.jpg
    gasket kit.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OP
OP
K

knoslf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the new heads today for a decent price and warranty too!

Got the felpro kit today SunlitComet...just waitin on my radiator now,Mechanic tested the heads for cracks and to my dissatisfaction they were cracked so I picked up a pair of heads today that were $200 per head and have a 60 day warranty..

got the new heads today!

Attachments

• heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 20

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
get this kit instead. you will notice it hass a t in the part number. http://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-HST7733PT16-Gasket-Head-Set/dp/B001C98GAO

it is a better kit built for severe duty.

two set of these on for each head.
www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-ES72856-Misc-Set/dp/B000C2AHWC/

one set of these for intake:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/compatibility-chart/B0039SOMUE/

in a nutshell this is the bombs for bomby replacement and sunlit approves.

---------- Post added at 02:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

good luck withe the heads hope they work well. i paid $280 each for brand new oem heads. longer warranty and all new parts. casting included.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz