HELP steering rack bushing replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Get it toasty, like 120f, use gloves

Don't trim unless you have to, it might make it sloppy.

I had some easy fit poly bushings i installed in my vette, went mushy when the car got hot on a hot summer day.

I ended up having delrin bushings made, and globalwest aluminum bushings installed where possible as a result... lol

scottierass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This bushing is much harder than the rubber one. Its pretty hard to get one edge through as it is.

I'm done with this. I DO NOT RECCOMEND this product. I ordered another rubber bushing for $15 that gets here tomorrow.

After i trimmed it it still took a little wrestling to have it sit on on the bracket. Now it wont slide over on the rack. This bushing is just too thick. I would have to trim some more just to get it to slide over.

View attachment 270645 View attachment 270646 View attachment 270647
I have the same project coming up. Would taking some sand paper to the outside of the bushing help? Sand away the outside diameter of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
We also installed mine without trimming but it is a bear.

We used grease and a ranch strap and a hammer and 1/2" drive extension (as a punch) to drive it home.

Wrapped the ratchet strap around the opposite side of the rack and hooked both ends to the bracket with the poly bushing in it... tighten, beat and Fram with the hammer, repeat.

Definitely not for the faint of heart.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gave up on getting mine installed but I honestly think the metal bracket that fills the voids in the bushings alone is worth the $50, it made a huge difference. I was planning on getting the bushing on the gear when I take it out to replace the seals for the pinion shaft to hopefully fix the damn squeaking/rubbing noise when turning.

OP
OP
Mickey_7106

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't even do that. Mine's a 4x4 so the transfer case was in the way. Barely a finger of clearance

20210212_134412.jpg

I gave up on getting mine installed but I honestly think the metal bracket that fills the voids in the bushings alone is worth the $50, it made a huge difference. I was planning on getting the bushing on the gear when I take it out to replace the seals for the pinion shaft to hopefully fix the damn squeaking/rubbing noise when turning.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. I'm so glad I waited for a 2WD. You can get the bracket in by unbolting the gear and letting it hang but you'll need an alignment after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99