Help IDing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diagnosing intermittent crank no start condition.

Replaced oil pressure sensor and must have caused a short to open because when I fiddle with the wires behind the intake I can get the truck to start and run. In the picture attached I can see, from top to bottom, cam position sensor, oil pressure sender, and an unknown component that looks like a ground. It also looks like it threads into the back of the block.

1. What is this component?
2. Could it cause a no start condition?

Thanks for the help.

20210321_212015.jpg

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
upload_2021-3-22_2-2-2.jpeg
Here’s a picture from a different angle I stole

The wires from your camshaft sensor look bare, but maybe it’s just a sheen from oil I’m seeing

Any dtcs?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with @ks03. If wiggling the wire gets it to start there’s probably a bad connection or a short.

OP
OP
live2pull

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 274032
Here’s a picture from a different angle I stole

The wires from your camshaft sensor look bare, but maybe it’s just a sheen from oil I’m seeing

Any dtcs?

I agree, most likely culprit is cam position connector. I have another pigtail on the way, in case it is the culprit. No DTC present, which is weird because of the cam connector was shorting I would assume I would get a cam sensor circuit DTC.

The component that I am confused about is a large hex with a wire in the center, does not appear to be in your picture. Perhaps this component has been removed in later generations?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you take off the intake manifold to do this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cateyeburb