help column shifter broken stuck in DRIVE gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does nothing when i move it... it's useless.....

Park or other gear Does not work

almost crashed into the curb luckily I had applied the parking brake before hand (before shifting into park)

This is why you guys need to make sure your PARKING brake works

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check the linkage under the truck it's connected with a plastic piece that gets brittle and breaks off, you can fix it temporary with whatever you have handy, bushingfix.com sells a replacement or a local transmission shop may carry a cheapy one, otherwise the dealer only sells the whole cable.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the linkage under the truck it's connected with a plastic piece that gets brittle and breaks off, you can fix it temporary with whatever you have handy, bushingfix.com sells a replacement or a local transmission shop may carry a cheapy one, otherwise the dealer only sells the whole cable.

ok i'll just take it to a shop and get it done I don't want to accidentally start it and Blow up the transmission

remember this starts with a 80HP starter motor

it will end up blowing up the transmission or something in the drive line..

so i'll have it done at a shop any idea what the part number is for a oem??...

looks like the SUV is totaled :win: No parts available the linkage cable is disconnected as of 2012

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does nothing when i move it... it's useless.....

Park or other gear Does not work

almost crashed into the curb luckily I had applied the parking brake before hand (before shifting into park)

This is why you guys need to make sure your PARKING brake works

Disconnect the linkage down at the transmission and manually shift the truck into neutral so you can start it. Remember to set the parking brake and or chock the wheels first!

You can shift into reverse, undo the chocks or parking brake, back up, set brake and chalks and put in drive and then go to the shop or salvage or wherever you need to go.

Ran over a gatorback on the highway once and took it under the car and when I pulled into a rest area that's where I learned that my shift cable had broken. But quickly figure out how to get around so I could home and fix it.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the linkage down at the transmission and manually shift the truck into neutral so you can start it. Remember to set the parking brake and or chock the wheels first!

You can shift into reverse, undo the chocks or parking brake, back up, set brake and chalks and put in drive and then go to the shop or salvage or wherever you need to go.

Ran over a gatorback on the highway once and took it under the car and when I pulled into a rest area that's where I learned that my shift cable had broken. But quickly figure out how to get around so I could home and fix it.
i'm just going to drive the toyota
but i'll go under the SUV and see whats up

i'll talk to my grandpa about the sonic and if i can't get the parts for it... then take the tahoe to the salvage yard (i'm taking off the cats then scrap them though so i can get $$$$ for them)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT