HELP! All my interior dash lights have gone out, any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmtk

Reaction score
2002 Tahoe Z71

So while watching some college football yesterday I opened a cold one and thought I would spend some time working on my soldering and learning how to take apart the different dash components so I could do my LED swap (don't have the LEDs yet). All the threads say the same thing - TAKE YOUR TIME, so what better than to do on a Saturday.

I pulled out the headlight/dimmer switch and the fog lamp/rear wiper switch and slowly took them apart, learning how they were put together. I also have an old ac control box that I used to practice my soldering and I pulled out 8 old bulbs from there as guinea pigs. I used a 6 volt battery (battery thats the size of a coke can) with two wires to act as a power source.

Everything was going fine....learing how the systems worked, looking at the batteries etc.

So I didn't swap any lights, just pulled the burned ones out of the rear wiper/fog light switch. Put the two boxes back together and re-installed in my tahoe. Then a big problems, NONE of the illiumination lights on the dash work - no lights on 4wd, speedo cluster, ac control. The interior overhead lights work, all buttons on the dash will function (4wd works, ac works, head lights and fog lights come on); but no illumination on any component.

I pulled the rear wiper/ fog switch out and checked it for anything lose, likewise on the headlight main switch; but nothing.

It should also be noted that now there is no "chime" when the lights are left on and the door is open without keys in the ignition.

So, someone please tell me they have a solution....

I'm at work from 8-5 and the first thing I'm going to do is check the fuses; but I'm afraid I have to replace the entire headlight switch.

Please help.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd unplug the switch that you were soldering on and find the fuse/fuses that blew out and replace them and make sure everything works like it should, then plug in your switch and see if the fuses blow out again!

OP
OP
G

gmtk

Reaction score
It was as simple as a $0.25 fuse. Which leads me to today's public service announcement....

BUY EXTRA FUSES AND PUT THEM IN YOUR GLOVE BOX!!! When I pulled the fuse panel off I only had one "5" fuse, nothing else. Left me thinking how easily you could get stranded on the side of the road if you didn't have any extra fuses. So, $3 later I've got two of every fuse in the glove box.

Thanks to all on the forum for their help.

yukon 02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What fuse blow out??

2002 tahoe z71

so while watching some college football yesterday i opened a cold one and thought i would spend some time working on my soldering and learning how to take apart the different dash components so i could do my led swap (don't have the leds yet). All the threads say the same thing - take your time, so what better than to do on a saturday.

I pulled out the headlight/dimmer switch and the fog lamp/rear wiper switch and slowly took them apart, learning how they were put together. I also have an old ac control box that i used to practice my soldering and i pulled out 8 old bulbs from there as guinea pigs. I used a 6 volt battery (battery thats the size of a coke can) with two wires to act as a power source.

Everything was going fine....learing how the systems worked, looking at the batteries etc.

So i didn't swap any lights, just pulled the burned ones out of the rear wiper/fog light switch. Put the two boxes back together and re-installed in my tahoe. Then a big problems, none of the illiumination lights on the dash work - no lights on 4wd, speedo cluster, ac control. The interior overhead lights work, all buttons on the dash will function (4wd works, ac works, head lights and fog lights come on); but no illumination on any component.

I pulled the rear wiper/ fog switch out and checked it for anything lose, likewise on the headlight main switch; but nothing.

It should also be noted that now there is no "chime" when the lights are left on and the door is open without keys in the ignition.

I'm at work from 8-5 and the first thing i'm going to do is check the fuses; but i'm afraid i have to replace the entire headlight switch.

Please help.

do you remember what fuse is what that fixed the problem?

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

2002 Tahoe Z71

So while watching some college football yesterday I opened a cold one and thought I would spend some time working on my soldering and learning how to take apart the different dash components so I could do my LED swap (don't have the LEDs yet). All the threads say the same thing - TAKE YOUR TIME, so what better than to do on a Saturday.

I pulled out the headlight/dimmer switch and the fog lamp/rear wiper switch and slowly took them apart, learning how they were put together. I also have an old ac control box that I used to practice my soldering and I pulled out 8 old bulbs from there as guinea pigs. I used a 6 volt battery (battery thats the size of a coke can) with two wires to act as a power source.

So I didn't swap any lights, just pulled the burned ones out of the rear wiper/fog light switch. Put the two boxes back together and re-installed in my tahoe. Then a big problems, NONE of the illiumination lights on the dash work - no lights on 4wd, speedo cluster, ac control. The interior overhead lights work, all buttons on the dash will function (4wd works, ac works, head lights and fog lights come on); but no illumination on any component.

I'm at work from 8-5 and the first thing I'm going to do is check the fuses; but I'm afraid I have to replace the entire headlight switch.

Please help.

IM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT FUSE IT IS THAT MIGHT BE BLOWN>> PLEASE HELP ME OUT :shrug:

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you unplug the battery before taking things apart? Wondering why the fuse blew.

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
do you remember what fuse is what that fixed the problem?

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

IM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT FUSE IT IS THAT MIGHT BE BLOWN>> PLEASE HELP ME OUT :shrug:

What truck and year do you have?

On mine it would be fuse 14 (10 amp) in the side fuse box under the drivers door pillar.

Also check the dimmer wheel near the light switch over your left knee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019