Heater core replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good question and I'm kicking myself for not seeing if it can be done. Since I was replacing the AC evap as well I did not check to see if it was feasible when I first took it apart.
Hey chevrol8t..
What was wrong with your heater core? Did it leak or was it plugged?

Pretty sure mine is partially plugged and I'm gonna have to do this before next winter

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey chevrol8t..
What was wrong with your heater core? Did it leak or was it plugged?

Pretty sure mine is partially plugged and I'm gonna have to do this before next winter

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
My core was leaking. At first it wasn't to serious. I used a product called "K-Seal" to keep it under control. Actually the K-seal lasted for about 2+years. However not to long ago after replacing my water pump my heater core started leaking again. This time it was bad enough were the steam of anti-freeze was coming through the vents. If yours is not leaking I would by all means attempt a flush first and see what happens.

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced mine about 6 weeks ago and that video (and much advice form this forum) got me through it. The guy did a great job in the process of showing how and what to do. I even sent him some money for beer through Google. I'm not a superhero like either of you guys because it took me about a week to do mine on and off after work and 2 weekends. I went slow and bagged and labeled everything as well as taking 300 pictures, which turn out to be invaluable. I wish I would have changed out those actuators now that you mention it though.

So congratz on getting it done!
Thanks! Trust me, we are not heroes by any stretch. We just like to wrench and save money when there is none to throw around at a garage. :)

Also two weeks or 12 hrs we get it done!

OP
OP
chevrol8t

chevrol8t

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do the evaporator as well, or were you able to work around it and do the heater core only?

Sounds like a month job for me. I'm always 2x slower than the slowest! ;)
Yes I did! I did the Evap and blend door actuators.

I. Do. Not. EVER. Want to go back in there again!

At least no time soon!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65