Headlight Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YXL Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi...I have a 09 Yukon XL Denali with headlight issues, the low beam is very dim (if on at all) in the Auto and On position. Fog Lights work but no high beams. Here is a few things I've tried...Tried a new switch, checked relay and fuses. Another odd thing I've noticed is a fan noise at the headlights when they are trying to turn on (when I unlock the car and the lights normally come on, that's when I notice the fan noise most often). I have not changed the bulbs mostly because they are a bear to change but also because there is a dim amount of light all the time.

Any suggestions would be appareciated.

Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi...I have a 09 Yukon XL Denali with headlight issues, the low beam is very dim (if on at all) in the Auto and On position. Fog Lights work but no high beams. Here is a few things I've tried...Tried a new switch, checked relay and fuses. Another odd thing I've noticed is a fan noise at the headlights when they are trying to turn on (when I unlock the car and the lights normally come on, that's when I notice the fan noise most often). I have not changed the bulbs mostly because they are a bear to change but also because there is a dim amount of light all the time.

Any suggestions would be appareciated.

Thanks
there should not be any fan noise if the bulbs are oem, often led replacements will have fans so that could be the issue. these trucks use a bi-xenon bulb which means 1 bulb is used for both high and low beam. you can change the bulbs pretty easy, this video shows you basically how to do it he skips a couple things
1. pop the hood and remove all the bolts across the top of the grill they are 10mm and 2 7mm
2. remove the 2 top 10mm bolts from the headlight housing
3. go to the fender liner and remove the 1 middle 7mm bolt
4 pull the liner back with your hand and reach inside with a short 10mm socket and loosen the last headlight bolt (only loosen it)
5. pull the headlight housing stright forward and out there is one clip that is down inside the area closer to the grill it will just come off as you pull forward.
once you replace the bulbs installation is the exact opposite of above.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @Doubeleive stated, it definitely sounds like you have aftermarket LED headlights installed, if you are hearing fans.

The proper alignment of the LEDs within the headlight housing is absolutely critical, in order to achieve the proper headlight beam pattern. Without proper alignment, the LEDs are useless as headlights, and only serve to blind oncoming drivers.

Some headlight LEDs are adjustable, allowing you to properly rotate the position the LEDs chips to the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions (meaning the 'stick' that the LED chips are mounted to needs to be as vertical as possible, after inserted and locked into the headlight housing). Other headlight LEDs are not adjustable, meaning that if the alignment is not proper after inserting and locking the LEDs into the headlight housing, there is nothing you can do to correct an improper alignment. You should be able to check the current alignment of the LEDs by looking into the front of the headlight lens cover (lights turned off) and observe the position of the 'stick' that the LED chips are mounted to. Is the stick vertical, or is it at some large angle that is not vertical?

novemberr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience, you may want to change both bulbs if they are halogen bulbs, wear vinyl gloves and don't touch the bulb directly with your fingers.