HEADERS, MANIFOLDS & CATS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I build the courage to do my own cat replacements, I think of the biggest issues people have regarding those manifold bolts breaking/stripping where it connects to y-pipe. I wonder, wouldnt it be easier to buy new/upgraded manifolds and remove from there instead of the y-pipe.

Also, what is the cheapest reliable high flow cats you would recommend? I am stock but hear high flow cats are more fuel efficient. The alternative is stock. Car was in south so no rust. Was tempted to buy cats and have them welded on vs full exhaust piping vs OEM. for a stock car, which way would you go? No intentions of making car faster.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the manifolds and or bolts is good preventive maintenance. At this age if they haven't broken, they soon will. I had a gasket blow on the passenger side a couple of years ago and it took quite a bit of planing to get the flange smooth again. Now there is a broken bolt on the driver's side and am going to just replace the entire manifold so as not to have to fool with planing it flat for a good seal. Going to use Fel Pro hardware, ES75106 and ES75120.

The Magnaflow cats and y-pipe comes with new left and right exhaust manifold gaskets. If your clamp is corroded get a Walker 36522.

I'm leaning heavily towards putting a 6.2 in the truck and if I do, will need new cats and y-pipe and new, larger, 3.5" exhaust.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the manifolds and or bolts is good preventive maintenance. At this age if they haven't broken, they soon will. I had a gasket blow on the passenger side a couple of years ago and it took quite a bit of planing to get the flange smooth again. Now there is a broken bolt on the driver's side and am going to just replace the entire manifold so as not to have to fool with planing it flat for a good seal. Going to use Fel Pro hardware, ES75106 and ES75120.

The Magnaflow cats and y-pipe comes with new left and right exhaust manifold gaskets. If your clamp is corroded get a Walker 36522.

I'm leaning heavily towards putting a 6.2 in the truck and if I do, will need new cats and y-pipe and new, larger, 3.5" exhaust.
I'm at 247k miles but was a Southern car all of its life so I dont see any rust or corrosion concerns. Is this where short/long tube headers come into play? I wonder if a 1 set that handles everything is available (headers/ypipe/cats).

Also, on a stock truck, is it even helpful/necessary?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 247k miles but was a Southern car all of its life so I dont see any rust or corrosion concerns. Is this where short/long tube headers come into play? I wonder if a 1 set that handles everything is available (headers/ypipe/cats).

Also, on a stock truck, is it even helpful/necessary?

@badandyturbo had a stock Tahoe with long tubes and a catless y-pipe and his motor picked up at least 20 horses to the rear wheels at the drag strip. Myself and several others on here witnessed it in person. His goal was to use all Amazon parts, I think they were pacesetters or equivalent. He has since sold the Tahoe and gotten a Flex.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@badandyturbo had a stock Tahoe with long tubes and a catless y-pipe and his motor picked up at least 20 horses to the rear wheels at the drag strip. Myself and several others on here witnessed it in person. His goal was to use all Amazon parts, I think they were pacesetters or equivalent. He has since sold the Tahoe and gotten a Flex.

Do you have a recommendation for long tube headers with cats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts