Having major trouble with a dealer. Anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would absolutely go get a loaner. And if they said they didn’t have any, I’d pick the closest thing to your rig on their used lot and tell them you’ll take the keys for that until they want to fix your vehicle.

I’d also be contacting GM Customer Care ASAP and get them and their regional service advisor involved.

BrokerThis

'22 Denali Dmax
Reaction score
If they keep refusing to give a loaner, go the route of pulling your car out and Towing it to another dealer that says they can get it in earlier and possibly give you a loaner. I'd also be having GM take care of that tow bill as well.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't do 'blown off'. By the third business day, I'd have been sitting in the office of the dealership's General Manager or Owner.

But this is also why I don't buy new or much of anything that needs software updates, other than phones and computers.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Basically, what we are saying is, "have no shame when you go in and deal with these talking heads". I cannot stand a liar and that is what is happening here. It's like, when a person comes to work at a dealer, they sell their souls and swallow the "liar" pills. I can deal with a little bad news and delays, as long as the given info is the truth. I know there is a tech shortage and it effects all shops nationwide.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your issues. Sounds like they are busy. For those that don't know vehicles in dealerships are fixed on a first come first serve basis. If they are booked up its going to take a while. That doesn't mean they are doing something nefarious.

Your car being way in the back has nothing to do with anything. That's just where they put it.

Now some dealers may try to at least get a diagnosis going but that can be rare if all the techs are busy.

After covid the world lost its mind. I feel some humanity and humility was lost along the way.

Not all dealers have loaners and they don't have to give you one anyways as it's a courtesy not a right.

Before covid many dealers had tons of loaners and demos but those have largely dried up when demand for cars went thru the roof. Doesn't make sense to have 30 loaners when you can sell them to people who need and want them.

Things take a while to fix. Hell the McDonald's drive thru isn't even fast anymore. Tried to buy a cell phone lately ? How long does that take?

Maybe take a deep breath. Have patience. Be nice. And see what you get. Good luck.

OP
OP
Donnation

Donnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all of the help here everyone. I went in again this morning and they had no notes on what was being attempted to fix my vehicle outside of "We attempted to load a software update and it failed." I asked them again how a software update was being loaded on a vehicle with no power and they just looked at me and said "Hmmm, that's a good question, I'm not sure." My vehicle is still sittting out in the back of the lot.

The person I have been dealing with was not there so it was a different person this time. She said she needed to go talk to the "foreman" and disappeared for about 10 minutes. When she came back she said "The software is going to be loaded on there Monday." I asked "Why can't it be loaded on there today?" She said she didn't know. She assured me that someone would be following up with first thing Monday morning.

Someone must have told the person I was dealing with that I came in there really upset because he texted me about 10 minutes after I left the dealership. This was the text exchange:

Service person: "Hi Donnie, this is Rick @Coyle Chevrolet, I don't want you to think I have forgotten about you, this is my day off so I'm texting from my personal phone, I didn't get any forward progress from the technician last night and I realize, me complaining at him will not speed the process up, so I shifted gears when I heard that a loaner should be coming back on Monday and put your name ahead of the other 10 on the wait list. I know it's not your car but I have more control over that situation. I'll reach out when that vehicle arrives and get you placed on it. Have a great day."

With that being said, he has still not answered how software is being loaded on my vehicle while its sitting dead in the back of their lot. This was my response:

"Rick I'm just confused on how my vehicle is having software loaded on it when it's sitting out in the very back of your lot with a completely dead battery and can't be powered on. I'm beyond frustrated with the service I've received as we are coming up on two weeks that my vehicle is just sitting in limbo with no direction, no timeline, and no information outside of "we tried a software update and it failed." Then I'm told this morning that "maybe the new battery we put it in is bad." I want to know why my vehicle hasn't been moved into the service bay in two weeks and how service is being performed on it when its all the way in the back of your lot and in the same place that I watched the tow truck drop it off almost two weeks ago.

I don't feel that this is, as you said "A top priority" when its still sitting in that same place. I want my vehicle fixed and I want it fixed this week. I think its absolutely unreasonable to keep it this long and not have any concrete answers on how and when it is going to be fixed and no one seems to have any notes on what is being done to it to fix it. This has been an absolute nightmare to deal with. I was told today by Vickey that the software was being loaded on my vehicle on Monday and that is what I expect to happen."

His response to me: "You are absolutely correct! I'm a consumer as well, I know how frustrating this is. I'll continue to do everything in my power to get this repaired."

I'm going back in on Monday morning and requesting to see the manager. I really hope this is resolved soon. Thank you all again for all of the helpful responses.

OP
OP
Donnation

Donnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your issues. Sounds like they are busy. For those that don't know vehicles in dealerships are fixed on a first come first serve basis. If they are booked up its going to take a while. That doesn't mean they are doing something nefarious.

Your car being way in the back has nothing to do with anything. That's just where they put it.

Now some dealers may try to at least get a diagnosis going but that can be rare if all the techs are busy.

After covid the world lost its mind. I feel some humanity and humility was lost along the way.

Not all dealers have loaners and they don't have to give you one anyways as it's a courtesy not a right.

Before covid many dealers had tons of loaners and demos but those have largely dried up when demand for cars went thru the roof. Doesn't make sense to have 30 loaners when you can sell them to people who need and want them.

Things take a while to fix. Hell the McDonald's drive thru isn't even fast anymore. Tried to buy a cell phone lately ? How long does that take?

Maybe take a deep breath. Have patience. Be nice. And see what you get. Good luck.

I've been beyond patient. And I asked for a loaner one time and was told no and I haven't brought it up again. My issue issue isn't that they are busy, I know they are. My issue is that they are lying to me. They were more than happy to get me in same day and put a $400 battery in it and tell me I was good to go. But now since they seemingly have made things worse they don't want to even look at my vehicle.

I'm not sure any of your other analogies make any sense. I can walk into an Apple store today and walk out with a phone. The McDonald's drive through takes maybe 20 minutes at its busiest time. There is a thing called being honest and it doesn't take any time or any manpower to do. That's all I'm asking for and for them to stop jerking me around for the past two weeks like they've been doing.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been beyond patient. And I asked for a loaner one time and was told no and I haven't brought it up again. My issue issue isn't that they are busy, I know they are. My issue is that they are lying to me. They were more than happy to get me in same day and put a $400 battery in it and tell me I was good to go. But now since they seemingly have made things worse they don't want to even look at my vehicle.

I'm not sure any of your other analogies make any sense. I can walk into an Apple store today and walk out with a phone. The McDonald's drive through takes maybe 20 minutes at its busiest time. There is a thing called being honest and it doesn't take any time or any manpower to do. That's all I'm asking for and for them to stop jerking me around for the past two weeks like they've been doing.
Why do you think they are lying to you ? What makes you think they are not working on it? Perhaps the car did have power when they attempted the software fix and it didn't take and have switched gears. Car dead or dieing in the meantime.

Maybe they even disconnected the battery who knows.

I just think your making fire where there isn't one. But sall good do you.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do you think they are lying to you ? What makes you think they are not working on it? Perhaps the car did have power when they attempted the software fix and it didn't take and have switched gears. Car dead or dieing in the meantime.

Maybe they even disconnected the battery who knows.

I just think your making fire where there isn't one. But sall good do you.
unless some lame brain sat there and tried to load software on it with a brand new battery until it died then something isn't kosher here.
and it is sitting where it was dropped off 2-weeks ago ?
doesn't take a rocket scientist........to figure out
if they are busy and have not got to it then so be it but that is no reason to "create" excuses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos