Has anyone installed the rear cargo net?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of us w/o power liftgates have two round indents at the back (below where the cargo shade hooks on to) and from my understanding that is where the hooks for the cargo net go (the ones in the floor already exist). You need to drill out a hole in the plastic and then there is a captive nut for the hook to screw into on the frame. At least that's my understanding. I was hoping someone here had done to verify that is the case.

I was thinking the cargo net might be a good way to keep the dogs in the back while I open the gate until I can get leashes on them. Either that or maybe try and find a "load" bar (shower rod maybe?) that would fit across into the holes and provide a similar, perhaps stronger, barrier. That is probably the easier of the two actually. And I could use a generic net attached to the bar.

In my last SUV I used to unload them out the side doors after flipping the seat down, or I'd reach in and grab their collars while I opened the lift gate. Not so hard with one dog but two makes it challenging. LOL

daryl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I installed one earlier this year. You drill out the center of the indentation, and there is a nut welded to the body just beyond the plastic. Anchors screw into place. I have two rants about the system. I can't seem to make one anchor stay tight. Whenever i have to remove the net, the anchor becomes loose, and I have to twist it back on. The other , is that the net is way to big! You could probably fit both of your dogs inside the net! No joke. It fits width wise fine, but it opens up way to big. I like to place bags of groceries, etc. in it, and have them held tight, but theres so much room, they aren't held to tight unless you stuff it full. And since there is so much netting, it wants to hang into the tailgate/latch area. You have to do a double take on it before you close teh tailgate, to make sure it's not hanging into the opening.

I liked the nets in my Blazer and Safari better.

Maybe they've slimmed them down some since I bought mine last December????

OP
OP
snowjay

snowjay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. For now I just bought a black shower rod that I put across the back inside the indents to hopefully keep the dogs from trying to jump out, at least until I get a leash on them. It does sound like a weird design for the net to be that big.

Maybe you could use some Lock-tite on the threads to keep them from loosening.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of us w/o power liftgates have two round indents at the back (below where the cargo shade hooks on to) and from my understanding that is where the hooks for the cargo net go (the ones in the floor already exist). You need to drill out a hole in the plastic and then there is a captive nut for the hook to screw into on the frame. At least that's my understanding. I was hoping someone here had done to verify that is the case.

I was thinking the cargo net might be a good way to keep the dogs in the back while I open the gate until I can get leashes on them. Either that or maybe try and find a "load" bar (shower rod maybe?) that would fit across into the holes and provide a similar, perhaps stronger, barrier. That is probably the easier of the two actually. And I could use a generic net attached to the bar.

In my last SUV I used to unload them out the side doors after flipping the seat down, or I'd reach in and grab their collars while I opened the lift gate. Not so hard with one dog but two makes it challenging. LOL

Is there a net for those with a power lift gate?

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what size and pitch the captive nuts are? Hopefully a standard size? Can I just screw in eyebolts purchased from Home Depot/Lowe's?

hubert

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone know what size and pitch the captive nuts are? Hopefully a standard size? Can I just screw in eyebolts purchased from Home Depot/Lowe's?

Green Machine, did you ever find an answer to this? I'd like to do the same.

BTW, awesome forum guys!

I've been lurking here for a while. Truely remarkable what I've learned.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Green Machine, did you ever find an answer to this? I'd like to do the same.

BTW, awesome forum guys!

I've been lurking here for a while. Truely remarkable what I've learned.

I bought a used GM cargo net off of Ebay that didn't come with the fasteners so I was desperate to find a solution. Turns out I had some spare screws from a flat panel TV wall mount that fit perfectly. Because they fit, I never needed to go to Home Depot to figure out the thread size and pitch. But since these screws work, they must be standard and not custom. If I ever get a chance, I'll find out...but it could be a while.