Hard to turn left...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jplinville

Reaction score
Hello, folks. I've got a problem with my 2005 Tahoe. It will turn to the right without issue, but when I turn left, it takes everything I've got to turn. The pump doesn't squeal, and there's plenty of power steering fluid. It acts like a valve isn't allowing it to turn.

Any ideas?

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Steering gear box needs to be replaced. I have my winter rims on (stock 17's) and its hard but I can turn it. With my 22's on I had to hang on wheel to turn. Power steering to right non to the left been to cold for me to fix it lol.
Billy.

OP
OP
J

jplinville

Reaction score
I'm going to have my wife take it to the dealer for repair...I'm sure this is going to cost an arm and a leg. If I could physically get out there and do it, I would...but physical limitations and disability keeps me from attempting it.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just remember, 3 right turns make a left...

:D

As Bomba02 said, probably the gearbox :(

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are in North Texas I would be glad to help you save some money and replace it for you jplnville. Bring me the truck and the part, I'll take care of the rest.

OP
OP
J

jplinville

Reaction score
If you are in North Texas I would be glad to help you save some money and replace it for you jplnville. Bring me the truck and the part, I'll take care of the rest.

You have no idea how much I appreciate that offer, but I'm way, way north east of you in PA, near Pittsburgh.

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome, It's the least I could do. Cars and trucks are a labor of love for me, and when I can help someone else out I love it even more.

teginder81

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if the steering is good one way and hard the other way it is not the power steering pump doing this
it is the pressure diff valve inside the steering box doing this
that is the only thing that makes the fluid pressure go one way or the other
your best bet is to have a shop perform a power steering flush service and see if that corrects the problem as sometime dirty fluid will cause this
if the flush corrects the problem you are all set
if it does not correct the problem the only way to fix this is to replace the power steering box

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being disabled is really ******* a car guy. I use it as therapy. I know I can't get things done as fast as I could have at one time, but I still enjoy it. Not so much as taking giant leaps, but really small steps to get to the end of a project. Do I hurt more afterward? Oh hell yes, is it worth it? definitely. Most of my custom work and restoration days are behind me, but I look forward to the things I can do. Magicbus, that's a great offer, I remember being like that 30 years ago. Now I just watch others work and give them hints and tips to make sure things get done right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilflip

Latest posts