Hard initial shift ..traction control light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenneth Boone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I own a 2007 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 gas.
The traction control/stabilitrak light comes on and when it does the transmission has a very hard first shift from a stopped position. It also says service stabilitrak and service traction control. The light does not always stay on but when it’s on the initial shift is really hard. When light is off it shifts normally. What’s going on with it. Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both of you need a tech2 scan or scan with a high end tool like a snap on, this will tell what the bcm code is that is causing the problem.
with that type of code you really need the scan done otherwise you are just shooting in the dark.
stabiltrac & traction control are basically very similar and rely on abs data to monitor all 4-wheels/suspension & drivetrain, but if there is no ABS light on then it gets a bit more complex. hence you need the code read to get to the source of the problem. could be many things including internal transmission parts, transfer case or even engine related.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
both of you need a tech2 scan or scan with a high end tool like a snap on, this will tell what the bcm code is that is causing the problem.
with that type of code you really need the scan done otherwise you are just shooting in the dark.
stabiltrac & traction control are basically very similar and rely on abs data to monitor all 4-wheels/suspension & drivetrain, but if there is no ABS light on then it gets a bit more complex. hence you need the code read to get to the source of the problem. could be many things including internal transmission parts, transfer case or even engine related.
I read the codes yesterday and today the BlueDriver has power but it won’t pull the codes. It’s as if the obd2 isn’t responding. This lead me to believe it’s an electrical issue apparent somewhere.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the codes yesterday and today the BlueDriver has power but it won’t pull the codes. It’s as if the obd2 isn’t responding. This lead me to believe it’s an electrical issue apparent somewhere.
that device will not read the codes from the bcm, which is why I said tech2 or high end scanner., the blue driver is completely useless in this situation.
if it is not communicating with the obd for stuff it can do then check that the cigarette power port has power, if not then the fuse blew and that also provides obd communication, in either case the blue driver will not work for what you need....

OP
OP
K

Kenneth Boone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My local mechanic replaced fuel injector on cylinder #2 and that fixed the traction control light also. It also had a P0302 code which was the bad injector. It also had a C0561-71 code. No instrument lights on now. Runs great again. Thanks

OP
OP
K

Kenneth Boone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My local mechanic found code P0302 and C0561-71. He replaced fuel injector on cylinder #2. Tahoe runs great again w/ normal shifts. Thanks

OP
OP
K

Kenneth Boone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m experiencing the same symptoms. Did you fix it?
I took my 07 Tahoe to a GM dealership for a Tech2 diagnostic. The culprit for the issues of my Tahoe was the battery. The battery didn’t have enough voltage to run all the computers. After a new battery was installed I haven’t had any more problems or issues. It was worth every penny taking it to the GM Dealership. Tech2 is only available at a GM Dealership. The hourly rate at the dealership where I took it was $145 per hour /run a Tech2 diagnostic. It’s finally fixed. The garage I was taking it to didn’t have the diagnostic equipment to get deep enough into the electronics of my 07 Tahoe. It’s funny now…. I should have taken it there first.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tech2 are available online for about $350. A lot of members here have them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon