Had some trouble at Jiffy Lube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, it is so easy. It consists of opening a bolt, watching oil leak out, replacing bolt, removing oil filter, replacing oil filter, filling with new oil.

I know it can be daunting but watch some one next time it gets done. Then, tackle yourself. You need only 2 tools. Do what I used to do in college before I had ramps, lifts, etc...

Pull the front wheels up in a curb, crawl under and change. It is worth learning. I can say with 100% certainly, when it comes to oil changes, I am way better of a mechanic that the so called "experts" at Jiffy Lube. I have not failed myself yet. Been doing to my own cars since I was 17. Time to learn bro.

OP
OP
rgaffney

rgaffney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think I am going to take a stab at doing it myself from now on. Paying someone to do it for me is something that I don't enjoy, being as though I'm in college and I work at Panera

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think I am going to take a stab at doing it myself from now on. Paying someone to do it for me is something that I don't enjoy, being as though I'm in college and I work at Panera

that's the spirit! Now is a good time to start collecting tools. You can never have too many. Some of mine are bought, borrowed, or found on the side of the road. None are ever gotten rid of!

All you need to do the oil is a socket or box wrench(adjustable works) for the drain plug and a decent filter wrench. Oh an something to catch the oil in. Just make sure you dispose of it properly. Thats the hardest part!

I use Mobil 1 oil and filters. 5W-30 every 5K miles.

Bb

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if youre in the A next time you need it done i'll help you and show you how

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score

That's the spirit..... all you need is a 15mm socket or a crescent wrench and if you use a good quality filter it will have a big nut on the bottom you can use a small pair of channel locks on or buy a $5 filter wrench. It takes 20min tops and for the same price as a "jiffy" lube you can be putting top quality fluids and filters in and know it's done right. You can get a set of ramps for cheap, if money is tight check craigslist.

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hell fire, you don;t need a filter wrench... I do them with my little hand.

The only thing easier than changing oil is filling the tank... NJ and Oregon owners aside.

Bailey-Hoe!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell fire, you don;t need a filter wrench... I do them with my little hand.

The only thing easier than changing oil is filling the tank... NJ and Oregon owners aside.

Eagle is right. And if it gives you trouble coming off...stick a screw driver through it and turn. You should be putting on by hand, no tools.

BB

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why anyone would go to Jiffy Lube.

I brought my father's work truck to Jiffy Lube last fall by his request because he had a coupon for like $8 dollars off a regular oil change. I get there and find out their prices are OFF-THE-*******-WALL.

It was like $60 or something for a normal oil change for his 2004 Toyota Tundra. That is straight up prison **** with absolutely no lube. Not even a quick spit on the hand, I'm talking bone dry prison ******. You can go to a pepboys and get that done for like $30. My god I was mortified. Of course they were already half-way done the oil change by the time I found out how much it was going cost me so I couldn't decline the service.

Wow.

I always do my own oil changes by the way. It's fast, you know it's done right and you know what oil and what filter is going in your vehicle. Plus it is very gratifying doing your own maintenance on your truck. It is also the most affordable way to go, except I use expensive oil and filters so it's still like clost to $70 for my oil change, but that brings me back to having free range of what you are putting on and in your engine.

Also, as Eagle said, changing oil is a very simple, quick process. Takes like 20 minutes tops, and thats if you DON'T have all the top notch equipment. I drive my truck on ramps and roll around on the dirt in my driveway.

Also, I personally use a wrench to take off my old filter. After driving with that thing on for 5,000 miles the threads expand and get tighter and the rubber seal swells and gets tighter as well. End up being a real wrist breaker to twist off (for me anyway) which is part of the reason why I use K&N oil filters because they have a 1" hex head on the top of the filter so you can just throw a 1" socket on it and wrench off.

yukonjacks

A Vegitative State
Reaction score
Personally I hate messing around with a filter wrench, I buy the K&N brand, theres a nut on the bottom, makes like much easier

Chucktown Mako

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take mine to a local Precision Tune to get the oil changed. They do it for so cheap, I can't do it any cheaper, I don't get oily and I don't have to dispose of the oil. Every time, though, they try to sell you on something which is total BS. I have been letting them rotate the tires too for an extra $10, so it was worth it. The last time though, the screwed up every one of my center caps, bending them all out. I was royally pissed. They also tried to tell me my front brakes only had 30% left on them. I said "Thats funny, I just changed about a month ago." They will try to screw you any way they can. I don't trust the oil change places for anything other than an oil change. Not gonna let them touch my tires and rims again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerodmortensen