Had a lifter temporarily get stuck. . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the valve covers off within the last ten thousand miles. This engine is actually really clean under there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the valve covers off within the last ten thousand miles. This engine is actually really clean under there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't sweat it. This last spell may not have been caused by oil starvation to the lifter and it could be the onset of a mechanical failure. But you can at least cheaply and easily attack one of the possibilities. Keep running a quality full synthetic with regular OCIs and a good filter such as WIX, K&N, Mobil1 and if you must use Fram, get the gold UltraGuard.

A slow cleansing with the detergents in quality oils is much safer than using a harsh chemical flush since it dissolves any varnish/gunk into more of a liquid so it harmlessly passes through into the filter and drains out the crankcase. A chemical flush can break up small particles of solids which can clog the tiny oil passages in the pushrods and lifters.

Maybe run half a quart of transmission fluid in there and see if your oil is any darker at the next oil change?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it isn’t a small exhaust manifold leak and the reason you heard it at the drive through is that sound gets amplified in them? Then when you left that drive through nothing changed but you can’t hear it anymore? Try going back to the same one and see if you can hear it again. That’s how I discovered my leak. It was broken exhaust manifold bolts.

OP
OP
S

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, to answer several of the above points. Most important, the engine has not made this noise since then, over several hundred miles, so that is good.

I have had the valve covers off this engine -- it is quite clean inside with no sludge visible anywhere. So I'm not suspecting dirty as the first cause.

As for exhaust manifold leaks, yes, this engine does in fact have a couple broken bolts -- one on one side (back) and one on the other side (also back). A very slight exhaust leak can be heard at cold start up, but it goes away quite soon after start up. I suppose eventually I might need to attend to it, but I'll put that off a bit longer.

This noise was not a chuff noise like an exhaust leak typically is. It was a distinct metalic tap noise, and it was loud enough that I wouldn't have needed the building to reflect it back at me in order to hear it. I'm pretty sure it was caused by a lifter, so I'm glad it went away and has not come back!

DIsney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You already know the right answer. With that many miles on the engine, there is no miracle in a bottle that will fix it. You'll need to put in a new set of lifters. Luckily, they are cheap. And all the gaskets needed for the job are also cheap, and likely needed replacement also. Great time to get the heads cleaned up and new valve seals too while you're at it. I'd budget $500 for the whole job and depending on your mechanical ability, you can do it in a day, or over the course of a few days. Also a great time for upgrades if you were so inclined....

V30Crewcab

Reaction score
a little marvel mystery oil in my engine keeps my lifters from tapping. its not a large tap, but when I change oil it taps for a few min. marvel cures it.