growl noise during acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan2832

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 Chevy Tahoe with 5.3l, everything is stock & Non flex fuel 5.3l. This has been an ongoing problem for some time now, when i first accelerate from a stop(stop light, stop sign) my Tahoe will try to accelerate for a split second at first and then make a growling noise and almost stall(doesn't die) at almost every initial acceleration from a stop. The noise seems to be coming from under dash maybe firewall/pedal area. When it starts to stall like this if you take your foot off the pedal and push again right away my Tahoe will will accelerate like its supposed to and on to the next stop sign/light and starts all over again. You can feel it in the pedal when it goes into this growling mode sometimes, its almost like a pulsing in the pedal. Has anyone else ever had this problem or heard of it? The only thing that i can come up with is maybe a bad Pedal Position Sensor, TPS, or Steering Wheel sensor. Any Ideas out there?

OP
OP
R

Ryan2832

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
17 current views
0 answers

lol, yeah im still not sure either......

Laneku99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe even clogged cats just a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marinevet

Reaction score
My 04 Denali did that type of thing once, and I would get a message on the dash that said service Traction Control, it ended up being a bad wheel bearing giving faulty wheel speed sensor readings. Basically, the computer thought the wheels were spinning, so it limited throttle. Kind of a scary feeling when you need to leave an intersection quick and it happens lol. Not sure if you have traction control, but you might check your wheel bearings for play?

Jeremy

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds exactly like what's goin on. The classic GM unwanted abs activation due to failing wheel speed sensor. Which would explain the 'growling noise' and lack of acceleration.

From a stop, let off the brake pedal but don't push on the accelerator. Just let it coast and see if it activates. That's a good way to verify.

easterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the button on your dash, the stability/traction can be deactivated. That's what we had to do until the wheel bearing was replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack10432

Latest posts