Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. You must have a good job. For me $50 is a month's rent, two meals, and 10 shares of stock in the first Amish-built LED (but I'm starting to wonder if I got rooked on that one).

Yeah, auto and health insurance eats up about 98% of our income here in the bayou. I have an adequate job- it bought me an '08 Tahoe :p. Enjoy your dirt cheap economy in Mississippi!

Considering I only do 1-2 oil changes over a 12-month period, it's not bad.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started the 5K service today.

Only four ounces low. I was supposed to drain this into a clean container to give to my neighbor to run in his, but I forgot and drained it into my jug out of habit:

IMG_8838.JPG

It must've burned two of those four ounces cuz the catch can had two in it:

IMG_8837.JPG

Had much less metal on the magnet this time. Either the new parts have finally worn in or the WIX filter catches more than the K&N:

IMG_8843.JPG

Magnet at previous OCI:

img_6852-jpg.jpg

All I had time for today was to drain the oil (collected another Blackstone sample) and remove the filter. I'm letting it drain over night. I'll inspect under the valve covers tomorrow to see how things are going after 15K miles. I have a set of low-mileage rocker arms with upgraded trunnions I'd like to swap in if I have the time. I'd also like to install the new valve cover bolt grommets. I'll at least rotate the tires and finish the oil change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She cleeeeean boi!

The oil still having most of its lubrication and protective properties at 5K wouldn't feel like such a waste if the oil were dirty. I'd probably start running 10K OCIs but I'm still experimenting with filters. I'm switching back to the K&N this time to see if the material on the magnet increases.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The oil still having most of its lubrication and protective properties at 5K wouldn't feel like such a waste if the oil were dirty. I'd probably start running 10K OCIs but I'm still experimenting with filters. I'm switching back to the K&N this time to see if the material on the magnet increases.

So every one of those holes on the dipstick means 8 oz?

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap peace of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimcauble

Latest posts