Growing up doesn't have to suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a warranty-abiding intake system for it? My MIT alone emulated a pleasing performance exhaust tone in the cabin, and only when under load so it wasn't obtrusive at all.
There's a criminal lack of mods for this car. But still, even if there was anything available I'd pass. If you give a dealer ANY reason to dispute a warranty claim they'll take advantage of it then it just becomes a shitshow of epic proportions.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made a couple more to document MPG. As always, 70 MPH is still my sweet spot for balancing highway speed and acceptable MPG:

I lose about 1-2 MPG taking it up to 75 MPH. I opened the cutout on this one for sound comparison. It's not bad at all, just creates a deep background humming. But, give it more throttle and your kidneys rattle:

Cutouts are the ultimate! I kind of wish I had skipped my muffler swap party and just done cutouts. Truck sounds great

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cutouts are the ultimate! I kind of wish I had skipped my muffler swap party and just done cutouts. Truck sounds great

Thank ya! It sounds like an uncorked F-body when I romp on it. Once I get the exhaust how I want it, I'll make a video of it from behind.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I suddenly started having issues when filling the gas tank. I had to hold the handle just enough to let it barely trickle in or it would back up and click off the nozzle. I've been putting about five gallons in at a time because just that takes about fifteen minutes. We'll be taking the ol' 'Hoe to Florida for Thanksgiving and I can't be having hour-long fuel stops. I ordered a new EVAP canister ("charcoal canister"), vent valve and adapter harness (new vent valve has updated design with a different harness connector). Yesterday evening I dropped the tank and removed the purge solenoid from the intake manifold to test it and to check the pipe coming to it. Although I have a lift, dropping the tank was a PITA since the axle doesn't droop very far due to the lowering components. I called it 'quits' for the night after smashing and cutting my finger when the tank fell.

New canister is identical to original- same part number, etc.:

IMG_3755.JPG

These carbon pellets are supposed to stay inside the canister:

IMG_3756.JPG

...But, they made it from the canister that is located just in front of the spare tire alllll the way to the purge valve solenoid on the intake manifold:

IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

Last edited:

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa never actually seen the pellets inside one of those. Is that the part that fails and makes my DIC ding and say check the gas cap?

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tank completely free from the truck:

IMG_3761.JPG

I don't know why these areas are that ugly brownish color. Even though it'll never be seen, I still decided to wire brush and paint it:

IMG_3762.JPG

Much better:

IMG_3763.JPG

I didn't take many other pics, but I just used various nozzles on my blow guns to blast each pipe from both ends. I ended up removing all the pipes and hoses from the tank and blasting them while shaking and tapping them on the concrete. Those pellets were EVERYWHERE and stuck in there pretty good. I had to blast them from both ways to work the clogs back and forth until they broke free and blew out. I even removed the fuel pump assembly to clean out the bucket and the tank itself.

After I got it back together, I took it to the nearest gas station, an Exxon, and put half a tank of 93 in it. For the first time in a while, I was able to lock the handle at WOT and step away:

IMG_3764.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa never actually seen the pellets inside one of those. Is that the part that fails and makes my DIC ding and say check the gas cap?

Quite possibly. I forgot to mention, but I have gotten the "TIGHTEN GAS CAP" message a couple times lately. Since it's very intermittent, my guess is the gas cap seal if fine and the problem is the pellets got stuck in the vent valve and kept it open, causing a vacuum leak. I'm quite convinced that I'm the cause for this failure. I've always topped off the tank to get up to the next even dollar. The extra fuel floods the canister (which is supposed to only have fumes in it- not liquid gasoline) and the bag that contains the pellets gets soaked and eventually ruptures. It's like a tea bag that gets wet. This shit ain't no joke. I'm lucky the pellets didn't get past the purge valve or they'd go into the intake manifold and, ultimately, the cylinders. Don't top off your tank, kids!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Tank completely free from the truck:

View attachment 262547

I don't know why these areas are that ugly brownish color. Even though it'll never bee seen, I still decided to wire brush and paint it:

View attachment 262548

Much better:

View attachment 262549

I didn't take many other pics, but I just used various nozzles on my blow guns to blast each pipe from both ends. I ended up removing all the pipes and hoses from the tank and blasting them while shaking and tapping them on the concrete. Those pellets were EVERYWHERE and stuck in there pretty good. I had to blast them from both ways to work the clogs back and forth until they broke free and blew out. I even removed the fuel pump assembly to clean out the bucket and the tank itself.

After I got it back together, I took it to the nearest gas station, an Exxon, and put half a tank of 93 in it. For the first time in a while, I was able to lock the handle at WOT and step away:

View attachment 262550
What a pita job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne