Ground issue? Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdmckean13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Tahoe SLT that I bought in March. I absolutely love the truck, but a few weeks ago I had an issue and was stranded on the mountain for about an hour. I'll try to explain what happened as well as I can, but please feel free to ask questions.

After camping (it was chilly and I hadn't started the Tahoe in 4 days)I was going up a small, mildly steep, muddy hill in 2WD. It did fine going up, but once I reached the peak and started back on flat ground, the RPMs dropped, a "service 4WD" message flashed, the check engine light came on, and it died. It wouldn't start again for about 10 minutes. When I would try, it wouldn't even try to turn over or even really click. Then suddenly, it started again like normal. The check engine light was off, no error messages, nothing.
I started heading down again, and about 2 minutes later, it did the exact same thing, only this time it flashed a "Service Hill Start Assist". Again, wouldn't turn over, then randomly start like normal with no codes.

It did this about 4 times. In all, it showed "Service 4WD", "Service Hill Start Assist" and "Service Traction Control". Every time, the check engine light would come on, but would be off when it would restart.
The last time, it started and then ran great the rest of the drive home. I took it straight to a shop to run for codes, and there were no codes stored! They tested my battery thinking maybe low voltage was making my truck "wig out" but it was fine.
This was a few weeks ago, and it hasn't done it again.

I have an aftermarket warranty but they told me that if there's no codes, it's unlikely they'll be able to diagnose it and then I'll just be out the shop fee.
I've been told I should just drive it, but for as expensive as these damn trucks are, I feel like I shouldn't have to worry about being stranded or my truck shutting off while driving!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

doc5339

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your experience. I think it comes down to locating, inspecting, possibly cleaning your ground connections first, then really checking the wiring as well as the 12v battery lugs and wires. Wires and especially connections get oxidized and brittle. You can often just clean, and tighten, though sometime you need to replace lugs and even wires.

It is a tedious and time consuming process but it's worth it. You are also never wrong to get a second opinion on the 12v battery; how old is it? As the 12v starts to give up the ghost, weird things happen on the gauge cluster.

Best of luck and please report back with your findings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667