Grill mounted light bar.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sarneson91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using a cheap auxbeam light bar, think I got it and 4 pods for like 120$, haven't had any issues with it other than the occasional fogging but I live in the PNW where it's pretty much wet all year except for the 2 months of summer.. If I could afford a rigid I would go with them, with the price going up you're just paying for better quality materials, like I said though I haven't had any issues with mine.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I'm using a cheap auxbeam light bar, think I got it and 4 pods for like 120$, haven't had any issues with it other than the occasional fogging but I live in the PNW where it's pretty much wet all year except for the 2 months of summer.. If I could afford a rigid I would go with them, with the price going up you're just paying for better quality materials, like I said though I haven't had any issues with mine.

Same here.... EBay specials.... I bought a 52" straight that was absolutely awesome, had it on the front of my Peterbilt.

Bought this 42" and it doesn't seem as effective/bright, but it is behind the grille and it's curved.

I think the curved bar spreads the light more than the straight bar which seems to be more focused.

Still pretty bright though.

Last edited:

sarneson91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I've recognized is the straights tend to be a little more focused and the curved is more of a flood, I guess it's more of a preference thing. I'm more of a fan of the straights for that reason. If I was in a more mountainous area I would probably go with the curved for a little better spread driving up and down the roads but thankfully I don't, long roads and highways for me!

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any specific brands y’all recommend? I’m using some Rigid pod’s for another project I’m working on, but I know the Rigids get hella expensive the larger you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridgid's are expensive... but worth every penny... I have em in on my 97 4 runner... on the bumper and in the corners.. when i become a Tahoe owner... you bet ur A$$ it's coming with me.. but i'd like to mount it In the grill not behind it. I think there might be an kit or bumper that i might be able to find that will allow me to accomplish this.I'm sure it ain't cheap either. My Bar isn't anywhere as big as yours is..... some folks wont install a bar when they know that it might get stolen. I took as many precautions as i could.... but if someone wants it... they'll get it.

20180806_103636.jpg 20180806_103642.jpg

Last edited:

Slurpglass

Reaction score
Ridgid's are expensive... but worth every penny... I have em in 97 4 runner... and in the corners.. when i become a Tahoe owner... you bet ur A$$ it's coming with me.. but i'd like to mount it In the grill not behind it. I'll shoot a shot and upload it... granted my Bar isn't anywhere as big as yours is..... some folks wont install a bar when they know that it might get stolen. I took as many precautions as i could.... but if someone wants it... they'll get it.

Absolutely, another reason I’d mount it behind the grill. But 1k for a light bar on a truck with 250k miles and counting aint gonna happen. Lol.

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, another reason I’d mount it behind the grill. But 1k for a light bar on a truck with 250k miles and counting aint gonna happen. Lol.

Understood.... Mine was half that... i think a small bar mounted in the middle might not look as good as a bar going across the whole Grill. when the time comes i'll make a decision.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your local laws against the bar, I know of tickets issued and warning to cover it on public roads

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar idea, but using that empty space between tow hooks. Even though the plastic is a little "wiggly" . The space is about 20" x 2".
I figured you could secure it better from behind.

..... That is,..... if you have the same style air dam.

Yukon air dam space side view.jpg

OP
OP
T

tst1212

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1st attempt - aborted
I have a 2011 Z71, and the 42" (Nilight 42" 240W curved)
curved I purchased didn't fit. I was able to squeeze it in place but when you try and make space for the side mounts you run out of space. Perhaps if you remove the bumper and grill, you could make room, but that was more than I wanted to get into on a rainy Saturday afternoon. Will look for a slightly shorter, or bottom mount bar.

Also, on the 2011 Z71, there is an trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator. It looks like a 42" curved will barely fit, assuming you can mount it, but I don't think a 42" straight would. Will take some pics on my next attempt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts