Gotta Have Better Motor Mounts????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwing

Reaction score
I can't make this crap up. I am currently on my 4th set of motor mounts in 40,000 miles on my '07 Tahoe with the 5.3 FFV.

First set went out just before 200k. Went to turn hard (left) into my neighborhood on a Saturday, where openings are rare, and the engine just ripped loose from the driver's side mount and flopped over to rest on the exhaust of the passenger side.

Replaced that set "right away", then had to replace the engine a couple thousand miles later when my DoD failed. When I had the engine out, I noticed one of my new mounts was torn (driver's side again). OK, the set I got didn't have heat shields and my heatshields didn't fair well on uninstall... it was a bad day :). OK, so I bit the bullet and ordered dealership mounts, with heat shields, put them in with the new motor and went on my way.

At 225k, turning left out of my wife's work one day, rinse and repeat, engine resting on the passenger side exhaust. Well if the dealer mounts only lasted that long I'll give a middle finger to paying that much again. So I ordered a crappy set of amazon mounts. Waited about 5k miles to put them in... I'm gettin' real tired of this job.

Here I am at 241k and, guess what, you'll never believe it, driver's side mount has failed AGAIN! Once again, turning left under what could BARELY be called hard acceleration.

Nope, I'm done. I refuse to put the garbage factory mounts back in. I also almost-refuse to pay $400 for the only upgraded ones I can find on a quick google search (bright orange, look like plate welded construction). While it always fails on hard left turns, I am not driving THAT aggressively. I mean hell it's a 6000lbs 2WD truck that has never seen dirt and I got a 5 year old in the back when I go anywhere. I just ain't pushin' it hard enough justify these repeated failures. I don't even tow with the stupid thing. No oil leaks, no exhaust leaks, and zero modifications to the truck at all... bone stock for every square inch.

I can't think of a physical reason for them to fail other than a crappy design (always fails in the same spot where the rubber necks toward the imbedded flange that bolts to the block side mounting plate), but I'm open to suggestions if you have them. Otherwise, can someone please point me in the direction of a set of motor mounts that don't cost a fortune but will last more than 6 months?? I'm losing what little is left of my mind with this thing!

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Making me glad i sprung for the h3 mounts for when the new engine is finally installed.

Oh, and there is a sticky at the top of this forum/section. ;)

OP
OP
K

Kwing

Reaction score
Making me glad i sprung for the h3 mounts for when the new engine is finally installed.

Oh, and there is a sticky at the top of this forum/section. ;)

So there is, LOL. I feel like a moron even more now :).

OK, so 70 pages is rough, but a brief scans seems to indicate, as you do, that H3 motor mounts seem to be the magic bullet here.

How in the hell the frame of a Trailblazer matches up to that of a Tahoe is one that will have me scratching my head for years to come, but if it works it works and I ain't gonna argue.

Thank you very much! Now all I have to do is find where to get H3 motor mounts....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't think of a physical reason for them to fail...

It's your right foot man! LOL

A long time ago, our Buicks would tear the driver's side mount out all the time too. We rigged a cable from an accessory drive bracket to the frame with a turnbuckle which limited the amount of travel allowed. No more torn mounts.

OP
OP
K

Kwing

Reaction score
It's your right foot man! LOL

A long time ago, our Buicks would tear the driver's side mount out all the time too. We rigged a cable from an accessory drive bracket to the frame with a turnbuckle which limited the amount of travel allowed. No more torn mounts.

LOL, but it's not! I mean I know how to drive like a horses arse, but I don't drive like that in thus truck. Heck I haven't driven like that in a decade. Call it the castration of marriage.

My '88 Suburban with 400 hp and 415 ft-lbs of torque doesn't pull motor mounts under the hardest pedal I can give it, even off road. Heck I brought that truck to a standstill with a palm tree chained to the frame and at full throttle with full traction the mounts didn't budge.

This little 5.3 driven to elementary schools and grocery stores by a fat lazy dad just doesn't have the nutz to eat mounts like this.

Someone dropped the ball in Detroit.

The H3 mounts are on order. God willing this will be last time i have to get down there and fight the poly-exclusion principle to swap these stupid things out. 1/2" more. If they'd give the engine just 13 more millimeters of travel in the compartment the job would take no more than an hour.

Last time I nipped the end off the locating pins. Gawd did it make a difference. Hoping removal reflects the ease of install with that mod...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, but it's not! I mean I know how to drive like a horses arse, but I don't drive like that in thus truck. Heck I haven't driven like that in a decade. Call it the castration of marriage.

My '88 Suburban with 400 hp and 415 ft-lbs of torque doesn't pull motor mounts under the hardest pedal I can give it, even off road. Heck I brought that truck to a standstill with a palm tree chained to the frame and at full throttle with full traction the mounts didn't budge.

This little 5.3 driven to elementary schools and grocery stores by a fat lazy dad just doesn't have the nutz to eat mounts like this.

Someone dropped the ball in Detroit.

The H3 mounts are on order. God willing this will be last time i have to get down there and fight the poly-exclusion principle to swap these stupid things out. 1/2" more. If they'd give the engine just 13 more millimeters of travel in the compartment the job would take no more than an hour.

Last time I nipped the end off the locating pins. Gawd did it make a difference. Hoping removal reflects the ease of install with that mod...

The original mount failed because it's a water balloon. Replacing it with the same just kicks the can down the road. My bet is that your original one popped long before that 200K mile mark and you just didn't feel it until it was pulled a little harder than usual in that turn, finishing it off. The H3 mount is the same solid rubber design that's been used for over a century on millions of vehicles, including your '88 Suburban.

I replaced mine with the H3 mounts a few years ago. I drive mine fairly aggressively and I have no reserves about the mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan