Google assist has to go!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVS11560

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2022 GMC Yukon XL Denali and a 22 Escalade. The Google assist feature is inferior to the last generation radio/phone/maps that were in my previous cars (2019 Yukon XL Denali and a 2016 Suburban).

When I make a call, my contact will appear on my screen exactly as it is on my phone, but it will either not connect, connect with some random company in another State, go silent, or state that the contact is not in my contacts (Even though it's spelled exactly as it appears on my phones contact list). Once in a while, it works flawlessly. I took it in to the dealer on the day the GM Google rep was there and it failed on everything. Usually, when you have a problem, you can't duplicate. Well, on this occasion, everything the GM rep tried, failed.

He was very professional and assured me that updates were coming. The updates came and my Tech is just as bad if not worse. What I need is to make Bluetooth calls, listen to the radio (XM), listen to my texts, and use maps (Very Rarely). I'd say the system works about 30% of the time. In the year 2022 I shouldn't have to pull over to get my phone out to make a call.

If anyone from GM cares, please BRING BACK the old system. It worked perfectly about 99% of the time. This system is not ready for prime time. I will NEVER buy another car from GM unless this feature can be removed. Love the Vehicles...Hate the Radio.

Does anyone now how to get rid of Google assistant????

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thank for coming here specifically to whine to GM, who neither monitors this forum nor could care less. I would suggest contacting GM support on there website if you want any kind of message to get anywhere.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%, we are currently on a road trip and Google just sucks. Google Maps has failed multiple times on us. Texts come in and I press the button to have it read and it says it needs notifications allowed which I have already set before. Offline maps disappear in a few days. I have just given up and using my trusty Garmin DriveSmart 61 which never fails. 2022 Yukon SLT

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just in case no one is aware a good connection is required for google to work properly, poor signal = poor performance

Dayzoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe - and don't hold me to this - that if you don't have the Premium connected package, google assistant is off.
Call Onstar and change your package to a lower one, and try that.

Tom-M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thank for coming here specifically to whine to GM, who neither monitors this forum nor could care less. I would suggest contacting GM support on there website if you want any kind of message to get anywhere.
I have the 22 Denali and it all works perfectly. Only oddity is to use the "favorites" for GPS locations, they have to be saved in Google maps on your phone. Once there it is great. Actually works better than the version in my old 2016 Tahoe.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 22 Denali and it all works perfectly. Only oddity is to use the "favorites" for GPS locations, they have to be saved in Google maps on your phone. Once there it is great. Actually works better than the version in my old 2016 Tahoe.
Agree, the maps work well. (Except that offline maps which are downloaded disappear in about 3 days).

The Google assistant function is a bit buggy. Asked it to set my AC to 71, and it changed the AC in my house…context is important…Sometimes if I ask it to “Set the radio to The Highway on SiriusXM” it works, other times it says “Your trial subscription has expired.” Even though I have a fully Paid XM subscription. There are many other commands that should work and don’t…it’s close…but still has bugs.

Larsonxjs

Reaction score
I use my iPhone and CarPlay for everything. I have a setting that only allows Siri when CarPlay is connected. “Hey Siri, take me home via Waze” works perfectly.

Firstgeer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use my iPhone and CarPlay for everything. I have a setting that only allows Siri when CarPlay is connected. “Hey Siri, take me home via Waze” works perfectly.
Could you share more on how you set this up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout