Good quality aftermarket backup cameras?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
Thanks, Mikey!

That's the style I'm going for. It looks like the lines and mirroring can be disabled as well. How does it's picture look in day and night? Any fisheye lens appearance? Can you compare it to the OEM camera's quality (day and night resolution, etc.)?

Fisheye isn’t bad and I think the quality is comparable to oem. My wife’s Tahoe is an ltz so I have the oem one going into a kenwood head unit. I’ve got one of the ACA400s on my Acura TL through a Pioneer and I like it. Not to mention the countless ones we’ve installed for dealerships. That should say something for the quality. If it’s good enough for picky dealerships and people buying brand new cars

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm old when I really don't like back up cameras, or can't get used to them. Have on in the other car, and I still have to flip my arm over the back of the seat and spin my head around every time I back up. It just doesn't seem right looking forward and going backwards. I'm sure the video gaming world has helped change that for everyone else.

What I do love them for is hooking up a trailer.
I'm always doing it by myself, in the snow, in 15 degree weather. I end up with 7 inches of snow on the drivers mat by the time I make my 13 trips back and forth moving the truck one more inch and checking the ball again. :)

With my trailer-hooking-backup skills, a backup camera will save me 20 minutes every trip.

Last edited:

Crippin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd never had a backup camera on a vehicle until I got into this rig. The factory camera's definition is plenty fine. And how often or long are you even using it?

I have no actual experience or comparison with the factory one. All I know of it is that I read on multiple, separate occasions where people said that [X aftermarket camera] performed much better. Sure, I could resort to getting a factory one if the aftermarket researching doesn't pan out, but I don't see that happening. Besides, I'll need more of a universal aftermarket style for the front cam option. I want that for when it's lowered.

True, I won't be using it "often". But, Jenn daily drives the Tahoe and it would come in handy for her. My work van has one and I'm spoiled to it. It's the greatest thing being able to back that long ass cargo van into a parking spot all the way up to the other car's bumper.

Having the best view possible is what I'm after, especially if it's cheaper than the OEM camera.

ezstriper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
camera source, used one in my 2500HD, had factory Nav, went right in like factory and the camera is clearer than my factory GM ones

sick1166

Full Access Member
Reaction score
following this love to add back up to my 07
now backing up just wait till my trailer hitch shakes car behind me pull 2" forward and im good...

just joking on the last part

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
camera source, used one in my 2500HD, had factory Nav, went right in like factory and the camera is clearer than my factory GM ones

Ran across that site a few times. Pricey, but it looks like you get what you pay for- 600 TVL!

On another note, I noticed the camera view in my work van (2016 Ford Transit) is really nice. Sharp picture with just enough fisheye to get a wide field of view but not look severely distorted. Maybe I can find an OEM Ford camera and adapt it.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen back up camera on a few cars and the lines help. My pioneer has the technology but stock camera wont work with it, does nothing. Definitely not the clearest camera either but does its job. If my truck didnt already have, I would much rather something aftermarket even if it didnt look as OEM. Assuming other aftermarket cameras would all the line functions and not required to get same brand camera.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran across that site a few times. Pricey, but it looks like you get what you pay for- 600 TVL!

On another note, I noticed the camera view in my work van (2016 Ford Transit) is really nice. Sharp picture with just enough fisheye to get a wide field of view but not look severely distorted. Maybe I can find an OEM Ford camera and adapt it.
So did you make a decision yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts