Good aftermarket speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreww2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the Bose system, then you have a lot more options for speakers because you can get most anything that fits and is 4 Ohm. The Bose speakers are 2 Ohm. Replacing these with 4 Ohm speakers will cut the Bose amp's output in half, which is opposite what you want.

It has been proven here plenty of times before, but adding sound deadener will do wonders for stock or aftermarket speakers. Sound deadener will quiet down the road noise the speakers are trying to overcome, resulting in perceived higher output as well as give the speakers a better environment to play in that increases their bass response. The deadener will also quiet down the cabin for those times you're driving with the radio down or off, giving it more of luxury car feel. Member DJ (@08HoeCD) was asking if he should go with JBL or Kicker speakers and ended up not replacing the speakers but adding sound deadener. Here's his thread: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/jbl-vs-kicker.92614/
Would a 2.3 ohm speaker be too much for the bose amp? i have 4 ohm kickers i want to replace to sound better.

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that that is around what the Bose speakers are.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not direct replacement.

I used:
62.9 Kappas in the 4 doors - Required speaker adapters to mount and wire up
a 42.9 Kappa for the center channel - I had to enlarge the hole slightly.
32.9 Kappas in the D-Pillars - These required a fair amount of surgery to mount. Seeing as how I hardly use them, I wouldn't do it again.
10.9 Kappas in the A-Pillars - I had to enlarge the hole for these as well. It wasn't that hard and they are used constantly, so it was worth it.

Looks like the mechanical mods are no problem. What about the electronics? Did you use the Kappa crossovers or just replaced the OEM speakers with the Kappas?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a 2.3 ohm speaker be too much for the bose amp? i have 4 ohm kickers i want to replace to sound better.

Plenty close enough. Many factors affect speaker impedance and .3 Ohm is well within tolerances. The speaker might actually be spot-on 2 Ohm but a less-than-perfectly calibrated meter, slightly poor connection, low-quality leads, ambient temperature, etc. can make it read slightly more or less. The Bose speaker may be 2.x Ohm like Mark said. They're just generalized into categories of even numbers- 2 Ohm, 4 Ohm, 8 Ohm, etc.

dreww2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plenty close enough. Many factors affect speaker impedance and .3 Ohm is well within tolerances. The speaker might actually be spot-on 2 Ohm but a less-than-perfectly calibrated meter, slightly poor connection, low-quality leads, ambient temperature, etc. can make it read slightly more or less. The Bose speaker may be 2.x Ohm like Mark said. They're just generalized into categories of even numbers- 2 Ohm, 4 Ohm, 8 Ohm, etc.
Alright thank you!

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the mechanical mods are no problem. What about the electronics? Did you use the Kappa crossovers or just replaced the OEM speakers with the Kappas?

I used the Kappa crossovers as they are already attached to the speakers. The exception is the 10.9 tweeters where the crossovers are not attached from the factory, but I did use them as well.

This pic shows what that looks like.
629i_csm.jpg

I used 3M double-sided foam tape to mount the crossovers inside the door or under the dash as applicable.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Kappa crossovers as they are already attached to the speakers. The exception is the 10.9 tweeters where the crossovers are not attached from the factory, but I did use them as well.

This pic shows what that looks like.
629i_csm.jpg

I used 3M double-sided foam tape to mount the crossovers inside the door or under the dash as applicable.

Thank you.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Polk Audio DB6501s in all 4 doors of my avalanche hooked up to a 4 way amp which can only cover about half the capable power of the speakers (e.g. 4ch 300 watt amp max putting 75w to each door which can handle 150w). Dynamat Extreme on the doors. Its loud, has good bass hit, and seriously cleaned up the sound. Crutchfeild does a "buy 1 set, get the 2nd for half price". So 4 doors for $300. Includes the crossovers which I hid in the panels. They were so impressive for the price, I bought another set of 4 and installed them in my TA. I will probably get another set when I upgrade the system in my new Suburban.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Polk Audio DB6501s in all 4 doors of my avalanche hooked up to a 4 way amp which can only cover about half the capable power of the speakers (e.g. 4ch 300 watt amp max putting 75w to each door which can handle 150w). Dynamat Extreme on the doors. Its loud, has good bass hit, and seriously cleaned up the sound. Crutchfeild does a "buy 1 set, get the 2nd for half price". So 4 doors for $300. Includes the crossovers which I hid in the panels. They were so impressive for the price, I bought another set of 4 and installed them in my TA. I will probably get another set when I upgrade the system in my new Suburban.

I put those same components (same Crutchfield deal) in my brother's '01 Tundra on an Alpine MRP-F300. Really nice speakers and a great deal for the price. They're discontinued but I'm sure Crutchfield will offer the same deal on the replacement model, the 6502. I guess you didn't have the Bose system in your Avalanche?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076