JBL vs Kicker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering a speaker upgrade for my '08 Tahoe with factory Bose system. I'm a dad in the suburbs, no audiophile, and I won't be messing with the head unit or adding amps and all that. Just interested in replacing the 8 existing paper cones with more efficient and more natural sounding goods.

I understand JBL and Kicker are affordable and highly rated brands, and they both offer simple replacement solutions for my factory speakers (front & rear pillars, front & rear doors). Any clear difference/preference between the two brands, or is it basically a flip of the coin? Remember, I'm no audiophile.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no audiophile, either, but I'm a bit of a stickler for great sound at all volumes. By "great sound", I mean clean, balanced and even across all frequencies. None of this all-bass-and/or-all-highs crap.

In my experience, I've always gotten a more warm and fuller sound out of paper cones. Some of the best sounding full-range, non-amped speakers I've ever had were the stock ones from my brother's '01 Tundra Limited. I put them in my '98 S10 standard cab and after tweaking the EQ (Pioneer HU), had such a full and responsive sound out of them. Being in a standard cab S10, they didn't need to be maxed out to fill the cab. I would actually feel the lower mid-bass in my chest.

Out of JBL or Kicker, I'd most likely choose JBL. JBL has been in the game longer and is used way more widely than Kicker. But, every brand has their various levels of product and speaker response varies by vehicle and speaker sound varies by person. I'd still research both deeply and try to find feedback on the models in question installed in similar vehicles.

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote JBL as well. I replaced the stock speakers in my 07 Tahoe with them and was very pleased with the result.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
If you looking for sound quality JBL has some mid range priced stuff that would sound great in our trucks. Kicker is bit more basic than JBL as well. If anything you could almost compare JBL to some of Infinity speakers when it comes to good crisp sound.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in going a step up from factory quality & sound but not looking to do anything costing more than, say, $100 per pair of speakers. I plan to run all off the factory Bose head unit (navigation) and amp.
Is it realistic to swap front & rear door speakers for under $200 and have the resulting sound be worthwhile?

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K...340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=rockford+fosgate+6.5

These are what i used in the doors (4) and they sound great... theyre just running off the factory bose amp and i havent swapped any other speaker out. I was gonna amp them but i like how it sounds now so meh.. no need to. I know its a bit more then what you wanted to spend but to me theyre the best bang for the buck. Since they can be amped later if ya want to.

I may have some extra door speaker mounts laying around some where ill look when i get a chance.

Between the jbl and kicker id go with jbl for mids and highs and kicker for lows.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool.
Hard to pick which way to go, since there are so many relatively low-cost options out there. But will look more closely at the recommendations you guys have shared.

Thanks to all @iamdub @MCAT069 @AppocAlexx @Drok

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah.
For me, this idea of upgrading speakers is purely a fun, low-cost project. I'm never going to make or install custom enclosures or add crazy amps or subs or anything like that. Just looking to do a simple speaker swap, making sure that I spend enough on the speakers to notice the difference and make the project worthwhile. ;)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your stock speakers are not blown or worn, you may get the better sound you want by leaving the stock speakers in place and putting your $200 towards sound deadening. I know it's not as "fun" or "cool". But, it would help the sound of the speakers as well as quiet some of the road noise, which would further make the speakers sound better, especially at lower volumes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442