Going nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airborne89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I thought I was all decided on a 2019 Tahoe Z71, planned on picking up a forest green one. Now I made the mistake of showing the wife a GMC Yukon SLT graphite edition. She liked the look better and the ventilated seats and I have to admit I liked the 6.2L.

So now my question is 5.3L vs 6.2L, which is a better more reliable engine? I'm coming from Ford so I have no experience with GM V8's. I've searched the forum and it appears mileage isn't a big difference between the two. I assume build quality is the same between Chevy and GMC. Are there any inherent issues with either platform I should expect? I've read some about engine tick in the 6.2L.

It will be mainly a daily driver with light off road duty, trails and beach driving, and will be a travel vehicle with the longest trip being a 1400 mile round trip every summer. I'll probably change the tires out immediately to something more all terrain no matter which one I get. Thinking Goodyear Duratracs since I've had good luck with those before.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, if you came from Ford, why didn't you opt for an Expedition. I am not a die hard GM or Ford guy, I see the positives and negatives of all brands. I like seeing why people switch brands. I don't think the newer 5.3 and 6.2 have many issues. What it boils down to is: do you want 355 horsepower with a 6 speed auto that has adequate power for almost anything, or do you want 420 horsepower with a 10 speed trans that has extra power when you need it, and would be a little more fun to drive

OP
OP
airborne89

airborne89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just curious, if you came from Ford, why didn't you opt for an Expedition. I am not a die hard GM or Ford guy, I see the positives and negatives of all brands. I like seeing why people switch brands. I don't think the newer 5.3 and 6.2 have many issues. What it boils down to is: do you want 355 horsepower with a 6 speed auto that has adequate power for almost anything, or do you want 420 horsepower with a 10 speed trans that has extra power when you need it, and would be a little more fun to drive

I looked at the Expeditions but my wife had a 2016 and I hated that eco-boost engine. Don't trust the double turbo V6, too much to go wrong and expensive to fix. If it was just my vehicle I'd get a F-150 supercrew with the 5.0. Have that engine in my Mustang and love it but a SUV makes more sense now with the dogs and travel.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have two 6.2s and a 5.3. I’ve had LS based motors for years. With the exception of the mid 2000’s LS7s, the LS/LT motor is as reliable as you can get and very easy to add power to.
Obviously the 5.3 lacks the power my 6.2s deliver (I’ve done light work to both, both are around 500 hp at the crank), but whether daily commute or hauling, I’ve never thought to myself “I wish I had more power” in my Tahoe. What has ticked me off is the speed limiter at 112, but that’s a different story altogether and can easily be tuned out.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d check to be sure you can get the two speed transfer case if you are going to drive on a beach. Further I understand and maybe wrong but does the 6.2 need premium gas. If that’s true, I’d rather not pay 60cents a gallon more. Especially on a daily driver.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If price isn’t an issue then obviously 6.2 all day long. If you don’t keep the vehicle for more than 5 years/60k miles then reliability isn’t that big a deal since it’s covered. The 6.2 certainly has its share of afm issues like stuck lifters but I’d trade a day or two in the shop over five years for more power.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 all the way! The other day the dealer was out of Cadillacs and they gave me a 2019 Yukon loaner with 800 miles on it and what a pig! I honestly would never buy a 5.3 after owning several 6.2's.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The 6.2 is a workhorse. I've found that the largest motors are the least burdened and last longer because of it. Resale on a 6.2 will always be higher and in IF the event of a total loss occurs, you'll want all the capital you can claim to make you whole on a like for like vehicle. The vented seats are something you can never do without once you've had them. I'm sure you'll keep a SLT Graphite Edition for a long time, especially when it's fully outfitted. Few realize they take a loss on trading or selling on their vehicles because they don't love them anymore.

See if you can find a CPO that you can get at a lower price and longer GM warranty. These are usually the dealer Demo vehicles that are spec'd out with every crazy option to ****** buyers. Look for one and enjoy a $8-15K discount

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I thought I was all decided on a 2019 Tahoe Z71, planned on picking up a forest green one. Now I made the mistake of showing the wife a GMC Yukon SLT graphite edition. She liked the look better and the ventilated seats and I have to admit I liked the 6.2L.

So now my question is 5.3L vs 6.2L, which is a better more reliable engine? I'm coming from Ford so I have no experience with GM V8's. I've searched the forum and it appears mileage isn't a big difference between the two. I assume build quality is the same between Chevy and GMC. Are there any inherent issues with either platform I should expect? I've read some about engine tick in the 6.2L.

It will be mainly a daily driver with light off road duty, trails and beach driving, and will be a travel vehicle with the longest trip being a 1400 mile round trip every summer. I'll probably change the tires out immediately to something more all terrain no matter which one I get. Thinking Goodyear Duratracs since I've had good luck with those before.

The SLT Graphite edition has a 6.2? That must be the “RST” of the Yukon.

I’d go with the 6.2. As others have mentioned, the 5.3 has enough power but the 6.2 is awesome power and it sounds great too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk