GM 6L80 Transmission Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillpickle1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
on a fairly unrelated note, I am planning on buying a 6l80e swap kit for my hummer, are there any mods I should do? It comes with a decent amount of mods like 27 spline output shaft, machined tailhousing for the T-case, modified TCM and a billet Torque converter, the company does offer upgrades to increase the HP rating

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on a fairly unrelated note, I am planning on buying a 6l80e swap kit for my hummer, are there any mods I should do? It comes with a decent amount of mods like 27 spline output shaft, machined tail housing for the T-case, modified TCM and a billet Torque converter, the company does offer upgrades to increase the HP rating
Are you planning to add mods/upgraded parts the transmission yourself or have someone else such as the seller/retailer do them? How much power will your engine be putting out and how will you be using the vehicle apart from just driving it around on the street (off-roading, heavy duty use, etc)?

You can take a look at page one of this thread for some ideas on what you should do for strength and reliability beyond just what the factory calls for...

dillpickle1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you planning to add mods/upgraded parts the transmission yourself or have someone else such as the seller/retailer do them? How much power will your engine be putting out and how will you be using the vehicle apart from just driving it around on the street (off-roading, heavy duty use, etc)?

You can take a look at page one of this thread for some ideas on what you should do for strength and reliability beyond just what the factory calls for...
just a L92 out of a Denali, so 400hp minus 1000lbs of weight on the trans, the seller has a 650hp, 750hp and a 1000hp package, I'll probably email them on what they do to it

Last edited:

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drop the pan so you can see what's at the bottom of it and the condition of the fluid and filter....The filters can sometimes crack at the neck though you'd know it if that was the case with yours...nevertheless, it's good to get eyes-on when it comes to that stuff...From there you can flush or just do a partial fluid change...The best way to go is to drop the pan first, then assuming nothing concerning is observed, replace the filter (or if yours is 'ok', re-use it) but I'd cut the old one open to see if anything is in there that shouldn't be (larger bits of metal, bushing material, etc).

Then give it a full flush/reverse flush.
When they did the flush the trans fluid when cold is at the hot mark on trans dipstick. Should I make them take some out?

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When they did the flush the trans fluid when cold is at the hot mark on trans dipstick. Should I make them take some out?
Is any fluid belching out of the vent tube on the top of the trans? If no, then no need to bother. If yes but the amount is relatively small, let it vent till it stops. That vent circuit was designed in to enable the transmission to relieve itself from a mild overfull condition.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. If everyone knew you were in Vegas then we’d all be planning honeymoons, week long getaways and excuses to have our trans replaced.

I can see it now … “Hey honey, the trans is gonna fail soon. It’ll be about $6500.00 including upgrades. What hotel did you want me to book for Vegas? The shop said something about all you can eat and drink 24/7 and they may comp a room”.

Any spouse heard nothing about $6500 transmission repair, just 24/7 all you can eat and comp’d room :love62:

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. If everyone knew you were in Vegas then we’d all be planning honeymoons, week long getaways and excuses to have our trans replaced.

I can see it now … “Hey honey, the trans is gonna fail soon. It’ll be about $6500.00 including upgrades. What hotel did you want me to book for Vegas? The shop said something about all you can eat and drink 24/7 and they may comp a room”.

Any spouse heard nothing about $6500 transmission repair, just 24/7 all you can eat and comp’d room :love62:
Basically everybody wins! Not a bad idea at all, haha!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Let some kid loose on it who’s in a computer software class. They’ll set up your web page and a “tentative” itinerary so they can see examples of where they can stay/play based on when you have time for their vehicle.

denalilex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Since so many of us own at least one Tahoe or Yukon equipped with a 6L80, I figured I'd start an all-encompassing transmission thread with videos, links and other information as it relates to the 6L80/90 transmissions. I'll get it going with a tear down and inspection video and go from there. Hoping this can be an easy 'one-stop shop' for exchanging information, guidance and advice as it relates to 6L80 or 6L90 transmissions.

I'll update this first post with more over time and bump the thread when new stuff gets incorporated.

Feel free to post questions, comments, etc...

Note - Feel free to send me a PM as well but please provide your first name so that I know who I'm talking to - TIA.

2011 6L80 Teardown and Inspection

Special Tools Needed to Work on the 6L Transmissions

6L Transmission - Diagnosis and Troubleshooting, PT1 - Operating Fundamentals and Using Range Charts

View attachment 406082
Quick primer on TEHCM resistance testing:
> Review this article for the TEHCM testing procedures.

> Using a multimeter to test resistance for shift and pressure control solenoids (shift solenoids: 20-40 ohms; line pressure/clutch pressure control solenoids: 3-8 ohms).

clutch pressure control solenoid
View attachment 400908

shift solenoid
View attachment 400907

Pressure switch resistance (closed circuit): .7-1.9 ohms ( this is pressure switch #1 which sends a signal to the TCM reporting the status of the 3-5-R clutch reg valve in the valve body)
View attachment 400909

Pressure switch resistance (open circuit, pressure applied to switch) 11.5-12.9 kohms
View attachment 400910
> Use pencil eraser to put pressure on switch to open circuit
> Pressure switch resistance should drop back to .7-1.9 ohms or so when circuit is closed again (may vary a bit but should not be significantly different).

If any of those pressure switches are not reading like the above when you do this test, then the TEHCM is bad and should be replaced!

TSBs and other Tech Info
ATSG Manual
TSB - Cooler Bypass Valve
TSB - Pump and 3-5-Reverse Drum
ATRA - Intro to the 6L80
ATRA - Changes Over the Years
ATRA - TEHCM Diag, T&E
Installation procedures & fluid level check
GEARS Mag: Diagnosing CAN communication issues (no scan tool)
6L80/90 TSB - UU0073 Communication Breakdown Between Modules (including the TEHCM)

Parts List for Overhaul
PARTGM Part #Notes
Paper and rubber kitBW high energy or Raybestos Stage One unless full race
Clutch module
Kolene steel module for 3-5-R and 4-5-6 clutch packs
Factory steel module for 1-2-3-4, 2-6 and low reverse clutch packs
Bonded steel and rubber piston kitOEM pistons are made by National Seal
Snap ring kit for the 3-5-R and 4-5-6 clutch pack return spring assemblies24260139Early spring kit listed will service all years
Snap ring for the rear sprag assembly-to-center support24230752Will retro to 2006-E2007 units
Snap ring for the 4-5-6 hub damper cover plate
38 element sprag clutch assembly24248957Will retro to 2006-E2007 units
GM heavy duty parking rod assembly (2017 and older)2428004812.5" for 6L80E and 14.5" for 6L90E
Factory bushing kit
Thrust bearing kit (only needed if trans overheated)
Sonnax billet aluminum 1-2-3-4 apply piston
Sonnax 4-5-6 piston kitOptional but strongly recommended
Sonnax Zip KitTransgo Reprogramming kit is a viable alternative
Sonnax Oversized Clutch Boost Valve kitNecessary if one or more existing clutch boost valves fail vacuum test or prove to be worn; requires Sonnax reamer and related tooling for installation
GM internal mode switch24246427Updated switch will retro to years 2006-E2007
GM wiring harness and speed sensor assembly2012+: Application dependent and must match existing rear speed sensor design - consult dealer w/VIN
GM separator plateYear/application specific - consult dealer w/VIN
GM TEHCMOptional for later model units and strongly recommended for pre 2014 units; year/application-specific - consult dealer w/VIN
Sonnax pressure switch rebuild kit and toolPurchase if intending to re-use TEHCM
GM TEHCM filter screenPurchase if intending to re-use TEHCM
New Torque ConverterNew converter should come w/ converter clutch thickness => .050"; billet cover required for heavy duty or high performance
Machine Work
PumpMachine pump cover and body. Cut pocket to achieve .002 clearance between rotor/slide and deck surface
3-5-R DrumReinforce welds at the base of the drum (all years)
High Performance Options
Rear planetary carrier assembly with billet drive plateNot needed unless horsepower exceeds 700HP or if vehicle is regularly raced
Sonnax 3-5-R high capacity apply ringWhen installed and factory wave plate eliminated, this apply ring allows for an additional clutch and flat steel plate
Sonnax 4-5-6 billet clutch hub
Camaro ZL1 ConverterGreat performance upgrade as these are significantly stronger than the stock JMBX converters that come w/the 6L80E
Raybestos Blue Plate Stage 3 friction module
Complete Raybestos Kolene steel module
good lord you are just the bomb . com

i’m late to this party - i wound up buried in my 6L80 casket for some time

i’m not trying to toot my own horn or nothing - mainly because i blew it out months ago but - we could go head to head on some intensely heated 6L80 jeopardy/trivia/wheel of fortune these days. jsyk

OP
OP
NickTransmissions

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good lord you are just the bomb . com

i’m late to this party - i wound up buried in my 6L80 casket for some time

i’m not trying to toot my own horn or nothing - mainly because i blew it out months ago but - we could go head to head on some intensely heated 6L80 jeopardy/trivia/wheel of fortune these days. jsyk
I'll take shitttty converter designs for 100, Alex!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia