Gen 4 wheel fitment on 2003. Major vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeckoLS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Picked up some 2018 tahoe rims and wanted to mount them on my 2003 ls. They are the same lug pattern 6 - 5.5" and bore size 78.1. I had them installed and balanced but no matter what it vibrates at 50 mph and violently. I've been to a few places and rebalnced and rotated the 2018 rims and tires with same results, vibration.

Trying to diagnose this new vibration I was told Different possibilities of issues relating to this vibration from 2 tires shops, and chevy dealership, and independent shop. Worn brakes or rotors, front suspension wear, driveshaft imbalance, worn axles, Cracked rims. I had brakes and rotors replaced. And had inspections on front suspension/drivesaft/axles. There is wear but not enough to need repair or replacement at the time. The Vibration was unsafe to the point that I put the stock 16's on and havnt had any vibrations since.

I'd really like to use the 2018 wheels but for some reason they don't seem to work. I did notice when I put the 2018 rims on my 2003 that everthing mated up except there was a very small gap between rim hub and wheel hub of the truck which leads me to believe I'd need a hubcentric ring to eliminate the gap. On spec sheets the rims are identical, which was the reason I got them. I figured it should be a simple and easy swap, so I don't understand why it vibrates so bad. I also was advised that the 2018 rim also needed a different type.of lug nut( type with a washer?)to properly secure it to my 2003 hub.(my stock lugs wouldn't work) Does that sound correct? The lug mounts also have a pitch to them so I don't see how Washer type lug nuts would help.
My question is why am I having fitment issues with the gen 4 rims being used on a gen 2 tahoe?
I forgot to add my 2003 is an LS 4wd. Hopefully I can get a response from an owner that specifically used the 2018 gm rim18x 8.5j with p 265/65R/r18 tires on a 2003 Ls 4wd tahoe.

Attachments

• 1639624395569395003658376662759.jpg
    1639624395569395003658376662759.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 16396245114801988533071773184451.jpg
    16396245114801988533071773184451.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 7

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the new wheels are fine and it goes away with the factory wheel and tire setup then the new tires are the issue. Probably have one separating on the inside which can be very difficult to see with the naked eye.

OP
OP
G

GeckoLS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A tire that's separating from the inside sounds probable. What supports yur suggestion is 2 of the 2018 rims and tires were "harder" for the tire companies to balance each time. They would be baffled after it spun and rip off weights and start over. Also, as I'm looking at them stacked up I ran my hands.over the side wall of the tire closer toward the top of the tire where tire contacts the road and noticed bubble like formations every so often on the edge of the tire. Is that an obvious sign of the tires separating inside? And the separating tires are what cause the wheel to be so out of balance at higher speeds? I appreciate the help.

OP
OP
G

GeckoLS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can get new tires and solve that part of the equation. Which is a must. Id Want to continue the stock rim.and tire combo of the 2018 rim. With new tires the 2018 rims will work on 2003 4wd tahoe?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
A tire that's separating from the inside sounds probable. What supports yur suggestion is 2 of the 2018 rims and tires were "harder" for the tire companies to balance each time. They would be baffled after it spun and rip off weights and start over. Also, as I'm looking at them stacked up I ran my hands.over the side wall of the tire closer toward the top of the tire where tire contacts the road and noticed bubble like formations every so often on the edge of the tire. Is that an obvious sign of the tires separating inside? And the separating tires are what cause the wheel to be so out of balance at higher speeds? I appreciate the help.
That most likely is your issue right there. Change those tires and I bet your vibrations will go away.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a shop balance a set of new tires 3 times and still had a bad vibration at about 60. I went to another shop who said one tire was out of round so I replaced it and the problem went away. Don’t know why the first shop balanced them but never mentioned an out of round tire.

OP
OP
G

GeckoLS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have noticed small cracks by the hub where the spokes meets in the back. Very small cracks. Are these rims considered no good now? Would small cracks like that also cause vibration?

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I've gotten more helpful information here than anywhere else.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed small cracks by the hub where the spokes meets in the back. Very small cracks. Are these rims considered no good now? Would small cracks like that also cause vibration?

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I've gotten more helpful information here than anywhere else.
Photos? I didn't notice anything amiss on the two earlier ones.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

Have you changed the tires? Pictures please

You can install one wheel at a time to identify the bad wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz