Gearing for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneHigh4x4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 08 Yukon xl (5.3) 2wd w/ 3.73's. I added a leveling kit, rear spacers, and 285's. I just bought a travel trailer weighing about 6000 lbs loaded and am wondering if it would be beneficial to add 4.10's or possible 4.56's. We went to the lake this weekend and any incline at all the motor has to really work and the transmission has to downshift. I used to tow with an 05 Cummins and know this will never be close as far as towing power but I need the room of the xl. As it is right now any trip to the NC mountains is out of the question. I hate to regear and spend a few hundred dollars if I would barely be able to tell a difference. Any advice?? (short of buying another diesel)

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

I have also heard exhaust systems help torque, and some hurt. I have thought about exhaust but definite NO if it will hurt performance.

bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would probably go with the 4.10s, i believe a 4.56 would be to low of a gear for a tire that isnt really that big at all. I think 4.56s would be over gearing, causing the truck to run at higher rpm when it really isnt necessary. You are only going to want to have someone do it ONE time, because its going to cost a pretty penny to have someone install the gears.

SabrToothSqrl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well

re-gearing might be the answer, but shifting to 3rd isn't the end of the world.

at least you only have to swap 1 diff :) not 2 like us 4x4s... You will hold 4th longer, but at what cost on the flat stuff?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO I would add a better intake, change out the muffler to a free flow type, and then get a Blackbear tune to tie it all together. All this is relatively cheap and will help (not compared to your experience with a diesel though as you noted).

Gears are a good way to go if you want to spend the $. I agree that 4.56 will probably be too high, but I have no experience with 4.56 and just ~33s (assuming your 285s are not larger). BTW I have the factory 4.10 on mine, and noticed the minor difference (slightly better pickup) during the test drive (4.10 vs 3.73).

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are looking at gearing definetly go to 4.56 the difference between 3.73 and 4.10 is not enough to justify the cost. Look into the vette servo and 4th gear super hold servo, you will notice a difference in holding 4th gear longer, plus it helps in the life of the 4L60e. Your best bet for a performance bump would be as described by Zed71, cai, muffler, BB tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attempt22