Gas smell 2022 Tahoe inside the cabin.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely a fuel leak! I am troubleshooting possibly same issue. If you get a chance get under the truck and feel the lines above the tank. You cannot see them but you will feel them pretty easy. It's a bit of a squeeze but can get a hand on top of tank where the fuel sending unit lines come out. Smell around too. Also feel the evap system lines. There'll be a carbon canister with three lines going out of it somewhere. Make sure that's not loose or leaking.

Not sure about a 2022 but on my 2001 the tank is pretty easy to drop. I did it the hard way last time, but I think they can undo the filler, then the lines at front of tank to evap & fuel rail (to engine). Then drop it with a jack if it's got gas in it. It'll all come out as a unit if like mine. If they have a lift it's WAY easier.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being a 2022, rust and corrosion shouldn't even be an issue at this point unless you drove it in the ocean and never washed it. Does the gas smell show up while driving, or while sitting at a stop sign. Or is it the same at both? Does is smell worse on a cold start, or does it take longer to show up? Have you pulled the dipstick to see if the oil level has increased or smell like gas?

My assumption would be an issue with one of the supply lines under the hood area, or the high pressure pump connections/injectors. Anything under the truck should blow away in theory and not be noticeable unless getting sucked in through worn rear vents, or wafting up and around when the vehicle comes to a stop.

OP
OP
Z

zimmerroe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The gas smell is overwhelming when the fresh air intake in on- and when ideling. When the truck is traveling it’s not as bad when the air is recirculating. We now this it’s the exhaust coming in through the air intake vent-

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go with a leak under the hood based on what you've said. The other thought is maybe a ruptured vent line for the evap system?

I'd try warming it up, then let it idle and pop the hood. Take a whiff, I would assume it would be quite potent if it's working it's way out and into the air intake.

OP
OP
Z

zimmerroe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Problem solved. Seems like the Cadillac converter, one of them had a leak in front of the passenger seat area under the hood, and it was replaced. The team at Nash Chevrolet in Lawrenceville Georgia did an excellent job of investigation and completing the task in a timely matter..
thank you guys

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a very faint smell when fresh air on and stopped at light. Gets better or goes away with forward movement or recycled air. Recently started occurring within the last month. Smells like gas like the OP. Unfortunately it is not the good “sweet” carcinogenic smell commonly occurring with cat-less long tube headers!

Not sure how I will handle this one. Just under 3k miles left on bumper to bumper. Aftermarket muffler welded in which was installed last summer. I plan on crawling underneath the truck this weekend while engine running to try to pinpoint the spot if possible. Fingers crossed it is not a bad muffler weld. I would think that if there was a crappy weld done by the muffler shop I would have smelled it by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo