Full Manual Valve Body? 4L80E Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukon95cc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm going to have a guy do a 4L80E swap in my 95 Yukon (5.7L 4x4). He said something about it might be easier, and probably pretty cool, to do a "paddle shift" type setup to avoid having to do a bunch of rewiring.

I really don't know the first thing about how auto transmissions work, and he was too busy the other day to go into more detail. I've been doing research for 2 days and don't feel like I've learned a whole lot.

So I'm hoping some guys on this forum can enlighten me on a few things:

1. By doing a Full Manual Valve Body, do I avoid having to buy a TCM and all the wiring.. stuff?

2. Is it sensible to do a FMVB on something that I want to be a capable off-road rig but also a daily driver?

3. Is there any risk involved and assuming I don't get the hang of it real quick am I going to be shortening the life of my new 4L80E?

OP
OP
Y

yukon95cc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does nobody have one out there that could tell me something about it?

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the current setup in your truck?

I'm in the finishing stages of a 4L60e -> 4L80e swap in my 1995 Yukon. Mine's 2wd, but the wiring aspect shouldn't be any different, just things to do with transfer case and front driveshaft.

OP
OP
Y

yukon95cc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I'm guessing this is a really uncommon thing to do in a truck?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's very common, do more research.
There's not a lot of rewiring.
Donot do a full manual valve body.

Read more at gmfullsize and performancetrucks.net

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member