Fuel tank conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

franklin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone ever converted their 4 door Tahoe fuel system with the side tank to a 2 door rear tank?

I have a 99 4 door. The fuel tank is rusted beyond repair. Yes, I know it's plastic. The embedded steel ring around the sending unit hole has rusted and distorted the hole so it will not seal. Of course the retaining rings are rusted off. I used a new fuel pump module and used permatex no 2 sealer and stainless steel sheetmetal screws with fender washers to retain it. That worked for about a month and now it has a small leak again when the tank is filled.

I cannot find a new tank anywhere. A few months ago I saw one that was $600 or so. Now I can't even find that and that is a little steep.

What I can find at a reasonable cost is a 2 door Tahoe tank. I did some research, apparently they put the spare tire up inside the cargo area, and put the tank underneath. I went to the junkyard and did some research there, they used a bracket to hold the spare on the driver's side. I still haven't test fit my spare up there to see if it would fit in a 4dr.

I would have to buy another new fuel pump module, the 2dr tank takes a different one. I would have to extend the fuel and vapor lines and the wiring. Looking at it, I think the filler tube and the large vent tube may work, it looks like they are pointing in the right direction.

Has anyone done this before? Any other options? As many of these things that are still on the road, it's hard for me to believe the aftermarket has not stepped up with a new tank. I am afraid to get a used tank, it will eventually have the same problem that mine has I am thinking.

P.S. I also see the Suburban uses a rear mounted tank. I am assuming since it's larger and the Suburban is larger that it would not fit under the rearend of a Tahoe.

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to guess it’s not a common problem, rotting out or someone would reproduce it. I would go with one from bone yard possibly they have it out already the other tank might not fit because rear axle in different place,is the fuel door in the same spot? Look on car-part.com lists a bunch of tanks for you vehicle 1995-2000 I searched at least 10 or 12 of them from 40.00 to 125.00 look it up put in your zip code

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

franklin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe I will try that. I put in the whole state of Va, none real close but there are some yards around here I could try, some do not participate in car-part.

Sean James

Reaction score
Holy crapamolie, I just went to rock auto...they have everything, but alas, no fuel tanks for our 99's!! WTHell, wow! That sucks! Now I have to drop my tank and clean everything up before I get "plastic rust". Would JB weld be an option? Spare on the roof with 2 door tank? Fuel tanks for any others are like $100. This sucks. Please let us know what you find that works.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989