Fuel line push-on fitting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonesy92

Reaction score
I’ve recently changed my fuel pump, filter, and lines. Everything went back together as usual. Went to leave work after driving there(roughly a mile), and turned the truck on with no start symptoms. Of course I smelled the area, and smelled fuel. Checked my fuel pressure gauge on the rail, showing 0psi.
I grab my flashlight, and there is good amount of fuel puddled under my truck.
Needless to say, the outlet side of the fuel pump(leading to the rail), push fitting keeps popping off. Brand new female fitting, brand new pump/pump male fitting. I dropped the tank in the parking lot at work. Great way to get off work at 1:30am right? Pushed the fuel line on, heard the genuine snap, gave a few tugs and pulls, and it remained connected. Sock up the gas from the top of the tank, wash it off with some hot water from work, start the truck. Get home, turn it off, try and start it again. Nothing. Smell of gas. 0psi. Pouring gas, and puddles. Any ideas on why it keeps coming off?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either the male end where the retainer clip snaps under is worn or has crud buildup directly under it or the female fitting retainer clip is broken OR did you forget to put the lock clip in? Both the retainer clip and the lock clip can bougt at just about any auto parts store. They are sized just by size of fuel line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jonesy92

Jonesy92

Reaction score
There’s a lock clip? I’m assuming it slides in the gaps after the famous push on “click”? My old fuel pump didn’t have those, just the push-lock style. I may have to looking into this. Thanks!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happens to all of us. At least you have an excuse. :lol2:
Yeah, it does! I had a no-crank/no-start when I had my 05 Jeep Rubicon. It was about 15 degrees, windy and getting dark... Of course! I checked fuses and swapped starter relay for the AC relay to see if that worked. Nope. I had an alarm installer guy, who was good at electronics, trying to help me out for an hour and a half. He found corrosion inside the starter signal wire at the solenoid, but was stumped. He only took gas money because he felt bad that couldn't get it figured out.

Never occurred to either one of us, that when I swapped relays, I put it into the wrong slot (it was dark, cold and I was frustrated and tired...). The new wire to the starter solenoid would have actually fixed my issue after all.

The shop I towed it to moved the relay to the right spot and only charged 1 hour minimum.

That was my most recent example of something stupid happening because I was tired and in a rush...

OP
OP
Jonesy92

Jonesy92

Reaction score
Been there done that. Can’t tell you how many time I stopped to push the fuel line back on after jamming my arm up between the Fran and the tank. The tops of my arms are s***. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts