Fuel Gauge Issue - Apparently I Have a 26 Gallon Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mals

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can reset the gallons used thing.... by pressing and holding the arrow on the lower right of the steering wheel controls

Ha, I really should take a look at the manual that came with this thing. Thanks for the hand holding. It will be interesting to see if the fuel consumption reported matches what I put back into the tank at fill-up.

mitchn06

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried resetting my odometer, it didn't work. Is there an engine hour thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mals

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can reset the gallons used thing. I reset that when I fill up. You should be able to reset them both by pressing and holding the arrow on the lower right of the steering wheel controls.
Filled up this morning, and you were 100% correct. Reset both the gallons used and average MPG. It will be interesting to see if the gallons used for this tank matches my next fill up. Thanks again @SnowDrifter.

Atrus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this thread is a month old, but I am running into something similar on the 2004 Yukon I picked up 2 weeks ago.

I picked it up with roughly half a tank. Drove it a couple of days, and had a few other issues creep up (O2's, plugs). As I was diagnosing it in the garage, it was running pig rich and chewing through fuel. Anyway, by the time I got those items buttoned up, it was just above E, no gas light on....darn thing ran bone dry in my garage and wouldn't start.

I threw 2 gallons in it from my lawnmower can and took it up to the gas station...~18 gallons later, the auto shut off on the station pump tripped. I thought that was weird, being that's a 26 gallon tank, but also know those can trip early. Didn't want to push it and pour fuel down the side of it, so I left well enough alone.

Fast forward about a week - during this time, I ran the tank relatively low and threw in some good fuel injector cleaner, and have thrown a couple of gallons into the tank here and there - point is, from what I was tracking, I should have been close to consuming everything I topped off during this period and the 20 gallons I put in from my first fill up. I ASSumed I had 4-6 gallons of usable gas left in the tank, being that it's a 26 gallon tank. I planned on topping off the tank on the way into work this morning....

...except it wouldn't start at all. Filled up my 2 gallon tank again, dumped it in, and she fired right up. Went straight to the gas station 1 mile away and proceeded to put 18 gallons in it....for a total of 20. This time I really tried to push past the first "autostop" on the station pump, and no - it truly was full. The DIC was showing I still had 90+ miles on the tank. I also had no "low gas" light - I know it works, as I've seen it illuminate before I fire up the engine.

So, in summary - my 26 gallon tank seems to only allow me to use 20 gallons. When the truck is dead out of fuel, I can only add 20 gallons in. To me this isn't necessarily just a fuel sender issue. It's almost like the pump is pulling from too high in the tank and can't reach the last 6 gallons. The bummer, too, is that I can't rely on the range meter as the truck seems to be assuming I can get to that last 4-6 gallons when it actuality it runs dry.

OP
OP
mals

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, in summary - my 26 gallon tank seems to only allow me to use 20 gallons. When the truck is dead out of fuel, I can only add 20 gallons in. To me this isn't necessarily just a fuel sender issue. It's almost like the pump is pulling from too high in the tank and can't reach the last 6 gallons. The bummer, too, is that I can't rely on the range meter as the truck seems to be assuming I can get to that last 4-6 gallons when it actuality it runs dry.

Since my last post I replaced the stepper motor on the fuel gauge while I was in the cluster replacing burnt out bulbs hoping it would be a simpler fix than pulling the pump/sending unit. I have also filled the tank twice and reset the fuel gallon meter on both tanks. The stepper motor was not the issue, and I have had opposite results on the DIC measured fuel consumption. One estimated a gallon more fuel consumed then the actual filling, and one almost a gallon less. Both tanks only took 17 gallons from E to full.

I'm fairly certain that if I want to resolve this I am going to have to replace the pump/sending unit. I'm not in a huge hurry to do this, so I'm waiting for warmer weather before I tackle it.

Atrus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since my last post I replaced the stepper motor on the fuel gauge while I was in the cluster replacing burnt out bulbs hoping it would be a simpler fix than pulling the pump/sending unit. I have also filled the tank twice and reset the fuel gallon meter on both tanks. The stepper motor was not the issue, and I have had opposite results on the DIC measured fuel consumption. One estimated a gallon more fuel consumed then the actual filling, and one almost a gallon less. Both tanks only took 17 gallons from E to full.

I'm fairly certain that if I want to resolve this I am going to have to replace the pump/sending unit. I'm not in a huge hurry to do this, so I'm waiting for warmer weather before I tackle it.

A friend did just forward me this...pay attention to post #8, #9, and #11. My thing is, even if it's just a dirty screen...if I am dropping the tank, I am changing the pump. It's a 14 year old vehicle with 122k on it.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/110786-2002-tahoe-wont-start-with-less-than-14-tank/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts