Front seats inerchangable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just come off the frame. there are plastic strips on the front, back and 2 sides you have to pull the fabric down on to disengage them. Start with the front and reach under where the fabric stops and try to yank it down to unhook it from the seat frame. Be careful because the seat frame edges are sharp.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the trim panels off the side and left rear behind the seat to make it easier.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure what "musical foam" is but yep, that might work. I have no problem DIY it. Just was looking for at hand option.

Like playing musical chairs. A game we used to play as kids right before we would go out and dig up the yard with our Tonka Toy trucks.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced seat cushion with new one yesterday. $125 not that much of money. It is sided to a certain degree. Seat controls recess plus some shape in the far back of it.
Took about 2 weeks to arrive.
Total time around just over an hour. Plus, I had to go to O'Reilley and buy deep Torx socket set. Thought I had all of them from my Silverado times, not the case.
Anyhow. I removed entire seat, it's much easier to work on it than in the car.
I could not get to the center console flap side, without actually removing seat from the frame, that flap is fully covered by frame. But, fabric pulled back enough to have cushion removed without any major complications.
Found that heating element folded into harmonica shape in its back section and fabric had burn marks on it. Apparently, as waves of it pressed against each other, they got shortened and caused higher temp. Amazing, it still works. Took some time to carefully straighten it and then I secured it in place with glue not just at the forward edge but, across entire cushion.
Nothing really special about reinstall. Plastic clips that go into cushion groves took some wigglige but, otherwise, it's just patience and strong hands.
I almost regretted I did this though. Set in the seat and head hit the ceiling. It raised me up that much. Well, I am 6'2.5'', so had to decline backrest.
Otherwise, pretty good.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced seat cushion with new one yesterday. $125 not that much of money. It is sided to a certain degree. Seat controls recess plus some shape in the far back of it.
Took about 2 weeks to arrive.
Total time around just over an hour. Plus, I had to go to O'Reilley and buy deep Torx socket set. Thought I had all of them from my Silverado times, not the case.
Anyhow. I removed entire seat, it's much easier to work on it than in the car.
I could not get to the center console flap side, without actually removing seat from the frame, that flap is fully covered by frame. But, fabric pulled back enough to have cushion removed without any major complications.
Found that heating element folded into harmonica shape in its back section and fabric had burn marks on it. Apparently, as waves of it pressed against each other, they got shortened and caused higher temp. Amazing, it still works. Took some time to carefully straighten it and then I secured it in place with glue not just at the forward edge but, across entire cushion.
Nothing really special about reinstall. Plastic clips that go into cushion groves took some wigglige but, otherwise, it's just patience and strong hands.
I almost regretted I did this though. Set in the seat and head hit the ceiling. It raised me up that much. Well, I am 6'2.5'', so had to decline backrest.
Otherwise, pretty good.
Good job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts