Front output seal on t-case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front output seal on my autotrac transfer case is leaking. I have bought the part and the required fluid (blue stuff from the dealer for $8.50 a bottle) and am going to tackle this project this weekend. From what I could find in a search of the internets, it can be a little tricky to do, and I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what wisdom they could pass along to me?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Transfer Case Output Shaft Seal Replacement (Front) Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  2. If equipped, remove the transfer case shields.
  3. Remove front propeller shaft.
  4. Remove the exhaust crossover pipe. Refer to Exhaust Crossover Pipe Replacement (Diesel) in Engine Exhaust.
  5. Remove the front output shaft seal.

• Remove the inner sleeve of the seal first in order to remove the seal from the transfer case
    • Remove the outer area of the seal after removal of the inner sleeve of the seal.
Installation Procedure

• Tools Required
  • J 43484 Front Output Shaft Seal Installer (midyear 1999 and later seal)
  • J 35870 Front Output Shaft Seal Installer (start of production to midyear 1999 seal)

1. install the seal.
1.1. Lubricate the seal mating surfaces with Dexron al oil GM P/N 12346143. 1.2. Install the seal using the J 35870 for installation of start of production to midyear 1999 seal, or J 43484 for installation of midyear 1999 and later seal. 1.3. Ensure the seal is positioned straight during installation.
  1. Check the transfer case oil level and add oil as necessary.
  2. Install the front propeller shaft.
  3. Install the exhaust crossover pipe. Refer to Exhaust Crossover Pipe Replacement (Diesel) in Engine Exhaust.
  4. If equipped, install the transfer case shields.
  5. Lower the vehicle.

OP
OP
noJeepshere

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks sunlit.

The exhaust isn't coming off, the bolts are beyond stuck and will only come off by being cut, so I'll have to work around that. And I have some hefty impact sockets I can use as the driver tool. I don't think it will be too hard... I'll let you know Saturday afternoon.

OP
OP
noJeepshere

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that was easy, pulled the driveshaft without trouble around the exhaust, jammed a small chisel between the inner face of the seal and bent it, crowfoot seal puller to pop it out, hammered a pick between the outer portion and bent it inward, used needlenose pliers to yank it free, cleaned everything real well with brakeclean and paper towels. And carefully hammered the new one in with a rod and heavy hammer (not much room so needed the mass) since my sockets weren't big enough. Pulled the t-case skid plate off to get to the filler hole, and used a fluid lift pump from napa to fill the case up with blue goo. Life is good, and I'm glad I have a garage now as 4" of snow fell in about 2 hours this morning during the middle of my project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willabea