Front End Squeak - Need Input Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmt502

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm back with some questions about my high mileage rig.

I've noticed a squeak in the front driver's side suspension ever since buying the truck back in June. Finally got around to replacing the front sway bar bushings and end links. The end links were shot. I was hopeful that replacing these items would eliminate the squeak, however, it persists. It did solve the rattling I had though. I used MOOG replacement parts.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. This is a Z55 suspension and I've got almost 225,000 miles on the clock. Hoping the video I've attached can help shed some light on what I'm hearing. This sound really only occurs when I go over small dips in the pavement.

Could this be control arms? Upper? Lower? Both? The strut? The spring bushings? Help please! I'd rather not go to a shop and give them carte blanche to replace a bunch of parts.

Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry, but in that 2 seconds I did not hear a squeak noise at all. If the vehicle is parked can you duplicate the noise at either front corner by pushing down on it and releasing? Maybe have to have a big guy like me that can really get the bounce to work. A shop can pull on a drive on rack and jounce/bounce it and find the source. If they do, make them detail what they did to duplicate the noise and the location/culprit. That way you get to make the call as to what is replaced.

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck's front end has never been rebuilt during 225,000-mile service life, just rebuild it completely with some quality components.

The original front end parts could last for around 150,000 miles.

OP
OP
tmt502

tmt502

Reaction score
So I just got it back from the shop. I had them replace the upper control arms with the moog problem solvers I bought. They also recommended having the lowers done at the same time, so I had them go ahead and replace those too.

The squeak persists.

They said I didn’t really need to replace anything else, but they recommended replacing the struts soon. I was thinking I’d do that myself and maybe just go with the Arnott conversion kit that comes as a complete strut and spring assembly instead of paying a ton for the electronic replacements.

For what it’s worth, I can hop up and down on the running board pretty good and get movement, but I can’t replicate the sound. What a fun research project....

OP
OP
tmt502

tmt502

Reaction score
I replaced the strut assemblies today with the Arnott SK-2954 conversion assemblies.

The squeak is gone!!

I haven’t totally inspected the old assemblies yet, but the lower bushings looked even worse than from what I could tell when they were still on the truck.

I also noticed that the shop that did the control arms cranked down wayyyy too ******* the moog end links I’d installed not too long ago. They’re basically shot now, so looks like I’ll be replacing those again too. Oh well, I was planning to do the rear bushings and end links soon anyway, so why not do them all in one shot.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the strut assemblies today with the Arnott SK-2954 conversion assemblies.

The squeak is gone!!

I haven’t totally inspected the old assemblies yet, but the lower bushings looked even worse than from what I could tell when they were still on the truck.

I also noticed that the shop that did the control arms cranked down wayyyy too ******* the moog end links I’d installed not too long ago. They’re basically shot now, so looks like I’ll be replacing those again too. Oh well, I was planning to do the rear bushings and end links soon anyway, so why not do them all in one shot.
@tmt502 Nice work, at this age doing the upper and lower control arms is a very good idea as well. Now that you have your suspension converted it will be easier to install cool parts in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645