Front End Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spindle nut is never to be reused. The wheel hub and bearing bolts can be reused. These torque to 133 ft lbs and the spindle nut to 177 ft lbs on my 4WD '09 Yukon anyway.

Think I'm going to change mine as the noise in the cab is getting louder and louder unless I swerve or turn right too!
I have never torqued them and always reused the nut. I like to live life on the edge! haha.

I may go grab a torque wrench tomorrow on my lunch break.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always have. When I told my buddy I was considering doing this work, he admonished me to make sure I torqued them to spec as he learned the hard way once with his 3/4-ton Silverado. My 1/2" torque wrench only goes to 150 ftlbs, so I'll be borrowing his when doing this.

Timbob8688

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had this problem in my old s10. When I got up to 15mph+, I would get a constant roar. Ended up being the bearings in the front diffy.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always have. When I told my buddy I was considering doing this work, he admonished me to make sure I torqued them to spec as he learned the hard way once with his 3/4-ton Silverado. My 1/2" torque wrench only goes to 150 ftlbs, so I'll be borrowing his when doing this.
What exactly happened to him?

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got scared when mine got so loud that I got a ride to /from work for two days while I waited for the new ones. When I took them off it was pretty clear that they would not have come apart. You should be okay.
Thanks to your expert advice, I made it to work safely this morning. haha

mcorbitt52

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am a fairly recent owner of a 2003 4x4 Tahoe. This week I noticed the same symptoms as above on the front left side. Raised the wheel off the ground and I get play moving the wheel 9-to-3 and especially 6-to-12. Is there any reason or value in replacing the bearing assembly on the right side as well? I've never had a 4x4 so this is new territory for me.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a fairly recent owner of a 2003 4x4 Tahoe. This week I noticed the same symptoms as above on the front left side. Raised the wheel off the ground and I get play moving the wheel 9-to-3 and especially 6-to-12. Is there any reason or value in replacing the bearing assembly on the right side as well? I've never had a 4x4 so this is new territory for me.
I replaced both of mine as maintenance items at 150k even though they weren't making noise. I didn't want to wait until they were going out which always happens at a bad time like in the middle of Winter. If you're doing one I'd certainly do the the other since it's probably close.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Red Rocket. I would change both just as a precaution kind of thing. It is a VERY fast job. If yours is not 4x4, then all you have to do is remove the tire and brake caliper. Then there are 3 15mm bolts (mine were 15mm) on the back of the hub assembly. Take them out and then remove the old one (may take a little hammering as stated by some previous posts). It only took me 45 mins per side to do mine and I have a 4x4. I forgot how quiet my ride was!

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got both of mine swapped out yesterday right after work. MUCH better now. No noise! Except from my tires making a little more noise now because I cross rotated them. Problem solved!