Front Diff. Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 Tahoe LT, 4WD...

The 4wd works as it should however, when I turn left or right it feels like it is binding up. Has anyone experienced this before? It also makes a humming noise when driving at speed in 4 wheel. The fluid is full and it does not make this noise in 2wd.

The second issue is the passenger side of the diff is leaking from the oil seal around the axle shaft. The axle itself has a rust ring and I think it is probably tearing up the seal. I've replaced the seal once before (PIA) and now less that 20k miles and it is leaking again. Should I just replace the shaft, or housing, bearings, seals and shaft?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is normal operation for 4wd, so is the humming noise (many people report humming, others get lucky and don't hear it), 4wd is not intended to be used full time and the system is designed to "grab" in the front when you turn left/right, if you are on pavement and in 4wd it will do that, best to probably not be in 4wd full time unless you really need it, AWD is designed differently.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What @Doubeleive said. While I would still use the 4wd periodically in warm weather just to keep things moving, that system does not like constant use and dry roads and you will feel a bit of a bind when turning, especially tight turns. When you do the seal, do the shaft and grease the seal edge when slide everything together. Needs to slide easily in to place during reassembly.

Ventura139

Reaction score
that is normal operation for 4wd, so is the humming noise (many people report humming, others get lucky and don't hear it), 4wd is not intended to be used full time and the system is designed to "grab" in the front when you turn left/right, if you are on pavement and in 4wd it will do that, best to probably not be in 4wd full time unless you really need it, AWD is designed differently.
I’m having this issue with my 01 Denali currently. It’s the AWD model so there is no switching and I believe my transfer case is going out because my front wheels are gripping the pavement a very slow turning speeds like a parking space or drive way.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m having this issue with my 01 Denali currently. It’s the AWD model so there is no switching and I believe my transfer case is going out because my front wheels are gripping the pavement a very slow turning speeds like a parking space or drive way.
With an '01, I would be inclined to think it's the transfer case. Might check with the nice folks in the '01-'06 section to see what they say.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The awd will grip but it shouldn't cause any problems, if the rear differential is locking up it could "maybe" be the cause, because the front would be pulling the rear wheel that is not releasing, but I would think you would hear it or feel it in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401