From Tahoe to "semi"-camper SUV. Need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Hello there !

My wife and I decided to go camping next summer with the daughter and the Lab using the Tahoe as a campervan. Well "semi"-camper van as it's really short.

It must :
- let 2 people sleep inside (while me and the dog will sleep in a tent, aside of the SUV).
- cargo stuff to cook and purify water and luggage
- be able to fold bed back to the cargo area because I will need the second seat row for the daughter and the dog.

Next year I'll may be jobless so this must be done now (before winter) 'cause I still can have some wood cheap. This must be done on a budget.

So far this is where my though lead me : I will make 3 rectangular brackets in wood (1,77" square) that will fit in the cargo area. I will screw a panel (may be plywood) on top of them. It should be right under the 12v plug at the rear.
Then I'll do an smaller but identical built wich will be attached to the first one and will fold to the front when the seat row will be put down. I'll then have a full flat surface within 2 adults will sleep. Between the brackets I'll be able to put 1 or 2 crates with stuff (gaz burner, plates, forks knives, water purifier... and clothes and soap, shampoo ,etc on the other).

I'll need also windows sun shade to keep some privacy. I've seen those : Heather's original Heat Shield. They are pricey. Are they worth it?

I'll post picture as soon as I'll have this project started.
Thanks for the advices.

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello there !

My wife and I decided to go camping next summer with the daughter and the Lab using the Tahoe as a campervan. Well "semi"-camper van as it's really short.

It must :
- let 2 people sleep inside (while me and the dog will sleep in a tent, aside of the SUV).
- cargo stuff to cook and purify water and luggage
- be able to fold bed back to the cargo area because I will need the second seat row for the daughter and the dog.

Next year I'll may be jobless so this must be done now (before winter) 'cause I still can have some wood cheap. This must be done on a budget.

So far this is where my though lead me : I will make 3 rectangular brackets in wood (1,77" square) that will fit in the cargo area. I will screw a panel (may be plywood) on top of them. It should be right under the 12v plug at the rear.
Then I'll do an smaller but identical built wich will be attached to the first one and will fold to the front when the seat row will be put down. I'll then have a full flat surface within 2 adults will sleep. Between the brackets I'll be able to put 1 or 2 crates with stuff (gaz burner, plates, forks knives, water purifier... and clothes and soap, shampoo ,etc on the other).

I'll need also windows sun shade to keep some privacy. I've seen those : Heather's original Heat Shield. They are pricey. Are they worth it?

I'll post picture as soon as I'll have this project started.
Thanks for the advices.
Scroll down to post #50
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...and-steel-bumpers-front-and-rear.93184/page-5

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
--- Sorry for the pictures quality, I split the lens of the camera. ---

Last week I learned that the wood trader agency I've been working for for 5 years now will be moved next town... but the warehouse (no more warehouse, just a showroom).
Me and 2 colleages will lose their job. It was a wonderful place to work despite the asbestos, the dust, and else. The news shook me and I decided I would do the semi-camper conversion before the bad weather is back. No time to loose.

Although the bad news, I feel lucky enough to own a Tahoe and work in a wood trader company.
I can use forlkilft, panel saw and have acess to enough to-be-dumped wood to build my semi-camper conversion.

There are two imperatives : must be cheap and must fit my building skills.... that are close to none. XD

The project is as simple as I can get it : a foldable raised floor like many did on this forum. It must be foldable as I need the second row of seat for my daughter. When time to settle come, I'll flatten the 2nd row and unfold the secondary floor panel to make room for the inflatable mattress.
Wife and kid in the Tahoe while I'll sleep in a 2-second tent with the Lab nearby.

I get my hand on few too-torn-to-be-sold cleat of larch.
They are 45x45 mm (1" 49⁄64) and 4m long (13ft). They are bended but I'll use only short parts so it'll do.

I've done 3 brackets that measures 108cm (42" 33⁄64) long for 25cm (9"27⁄32) high.

Tahoe_camper_brackets.jpg

For the floor I was wondering what to use. My first thought was to use 3-ply panel that is rigid enough to support our weight.
The damaged panels we have are not enough damaged to be dumped and I don't want to spend €100 for a panel.

For furniture building, we use to sell panel that are 5m long over 1.20m wide (16ftx4ft) in different thicknesses.
Thing is, they all come with a 13mm thick panel under the load to protect them from forlkit operations. We usually cut and dump those panels but i managed with my colleague to keep one as clean as possible.

It's 13mm glulam pine panel so not the rigidest panel but its free. ;)

It will act as a floor for the mattress.

Tahoe_camper_floor.jpg

I cut it square to the dimension I needed but when showing the result to my female colleague, I noticed an important gap between the rear door and the panel's end. I'll then cut another piece from the original panel. I'll draw a rounded side to fit as much as possible the inside curve of the door.

That's to be done on monday's lunch break.

Next step is to make 3 more brackets, cut to size the extended floor part, hinge 'em together and with the main floor.

The rest is detail : adding soft material on the panels side not to scratch too much of the Tahoe's plastic panels, put a layer of protection on the floors panels...

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Hi,
Still working* on my project..
When lunch breaks comes I eat quickly and go back to my Hoe.

Today I sawed the big pannel to get a side a little bit rounder so it would fit closer to the inside trim of the hatchback door.
I then screwed the hinges. 3 per foot. 1 screw for now. Will add more later.

tahoe_camper_hinges.jpg

Feet up.

tahoe_camper_foot_up.jpg

One Feet down, 2 to go.

tahoe_camper_foot_folded.jpg

I was so sure I would screw everything that I only purchased 6 hinges. The middle feet is so not screwed yet. The hardware store dod not had anymore 70x70mm hinges os I tooh smaller one for the 3 feets from the foldable part.

I had time this afternoon to saw and drill all parts for the smaller foot.

Tahoe_camper_foldable_bedhead_parts.jpg

Hopfully, tomorrow I will assemble the parts.

Thursday I eat at the food truck with my colleages so it only left me Wednesday adn friday to finish it. tahoe_camper_screw hole.jpg

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Did not work a lot today as I was constantly disturbed by phone calls. I hate cellulars. ^^

Use smaller hinges to screw the middle feet, I also screw the feet for the foldable part.
Tahoe_camper_feet_ok.jpg

I found out that the corner of the foldable grund would scratch hard the roof so I had to make some cuts.

Tahoe_camper_corner_cut.JPG

It seems to fit. Will now better friday When I'll fix the piano hinge to both panels.
Tahoe_camper_ground_cut.jpg

Lots of stuff to do :
- Go to the nearest carpet store and aks for some off-cuts
- Add seal strip on the egde to protect the plastic trim of the Tahoe
- Find a way to get those feet easier to (un)fold and stay in position
- Test it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Small update.

When removing it becasue I needed cargo space, I understant that free floating fett would not be acceptable.
I've ordered from Amazon a set of 4 struts used for kitchen furniture. 120N is a little bit too much but i did not know that back then.

The main legs were going full length to the row2 bench. It was a mistake. I had to shorten them to fit the stuts on this side since I want to have full access to the storage room from the rear.

The 3 main legs are now equipped. Just need to install and equip the last one.

Shortened legs :
Tahoe_camper_Raccourcir.jpg

UP:
Tahoe_camper_up.jpg

DOWN :
Tahoe_camper_down.jpg

Parts :
Tahoe_camper_items01.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member