friggin' stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jod96yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
:emotions122:

Here it is......

I had a problem with my stock stereo...ooops sorry '96 4dr ..... and I had a problem of my rear speakers going out and losing volume control (front speakers still worked fine, but no way to adjust volume, just really loud or real quiet). my stereo would work fine for 5 days or 5 minutes then do its annoying little trick.

So I splurged on a new pioneer deck to replace the stock one, thinking that was problem, and wired it according to previous posts (the ones about the factory amp and so on).

Life was grand until I turned up my stereo and a crackly sound was coming from my rear-most speakers even though music was playing through them. Thinking louder is somewhat better I cranked it up and ....WTF....no sound !! turned the ignition off and got my speakers back till I turned up the sound and bang I'd lose the speakers again.

Being more of a mechanical and NOT a stereo guy I was wondering if anyone had any answers for me. My guess is a grounding out of my rear roof mounted speakers.

Any answers would be great

OKLAGMCRUISER

Need drop...send $
Reaction score
sounds like a amp for the rears is distorting and possibly overheating and shutting off.

Pat

TahoeGoBoom

blue interior guy
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the amp only runs the rear doors. sounds like a grounding wire, but that would hypothetically ground out the deck, making it seem like an amp problem. are you sure its just the roof speakers?

weezel66613

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It is possible the rear speakers are going bad and when you crank up the volume the voice coils heat up and short out. Try disconnecting them and repeat your volume tests. If everything goes well, go ahead and do yourself the favor of replacing those roof mounted tin cans. Then try your tests again.

DJTricky

Banned
Reaction score
or save your self even more of a favor and pick up a 4 channel amp and wire it to the new aftermarket speakers that you should buy. If you want more info on how to do this. Pm me and i will help you out.

OP
OP
jod96yukon

jod96yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
:nutkick:

looks like I found the culprit. T he left rear roof-mounted 4x10 has a broken wire on the coil in the middle of the speaker. I unhooked it and now I can crank my HU without speaker loss.

The only problem now is I can hear how limited my stock speakers are now. Are 4x10's still available, a local chain elec store guy looked at me like I was crazy for even asking for them...jeez your truck must be old, he said... so looks like I gotta go to a real stereo place to find 'em. They seem to be available on-line or should I go another way ? Don't really want a sub or anything drastic just replace my speakers.

Can I replace my stock speakers in the doors and still retain the factory look ?? and how about the one's by the armrest ? are they replacable with aftermarket speakers ?

I guess I'm not after having the loudest stereo on the block just a nice clean sound like my factory HU used to have, so any suggestions would be appreciated

TahoeGoBoom

blue interior guy
Reaction score
everything is relplaceable with a stock look. or you can do this..

CIMG0025.jpg
CIMG0043.jpg

doggworld1233

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i am the one who builds them... ready for paint is $120 or carpeted $65.. plus shipping from florida... these car be made for any size spaeker.. we did some for a 6x9 not to long ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9